NSA wanted to hack the Android store

[Read the post]

1 Like

“the Android store?” Which Android store?

Google Play? The Amazon App Store? One of the many OEM-run offerings?

Yeah, I read TFA so I know what they’re actually talking about. My point is that there isn’t one monolithic app store for Android.

1 Like

Planned back in 2012? So we can assume this is currently in place?

1 Like

UC Browser has issues

Don’t worry, it’s the android store all the cool terrorists use.

A newly published Snowden leak

Um… Just how many of these are sitting around, and shouldn’t they be published before it’s Too Late?

1 Like

I’m sure dead man switches are being used.

You’re aware that he gave this mass of documents for Greenwald and others and told them to publish what they deemed appropriate?

We’ve barely seen a sliver of what they have. I suggest reading Greenwald’s book on Snowden.

1 Like

I had that app on my phone. I had to take it off because it started misbehaving. I assume that was just a bug at the app-maker’s end though - if NSA used it to install malware, it’s still there. These criminal bastards need to be shut down.

And “published” in what sense? Being told about documents which aren’t provided for us to actually read?

“Published” in the sense that this leak was “newly published”. I mean, Snowden isn’t actually still getting documents he didn’t have before he fled the country, is he?

[quote=“albill, post:8, topic:57955”]You’re aware that he gave this mass of documents for Greenwald and others and told them to publish what they deemed appropriate?[/quote]So why not let everyone have this mass of documents? What if “Greenwald and others” mistakenly deem something “inappropriate” when it would be very important for everyone to know?

To be sure, I accept that there may very well be a very good answer for these questions; I’m just not clear on what it would be.

1 Like

I agree with you. But what I mean is that publishing a “leak” is distinct from publishing a “document”. I’d rather just read what Snowden had and decide its significance for myself, rather than have some journalists read them and offer the occasional updates of “This concerns you!”

[quote=“Jorpho, post:11, topic:57955”]
“Published” in the sense that this leak was “newly published”. I mean, Snowden isn’t actually still getting documents he didn’t have before he fled the country, is he?[/quote]
Nope. None of them even left Hong Kong with him (as Greenwald and he have explained).

I really do suggest you read the history of this and Greenwald’s book.

Snowden very specifically did not want to just dump documents on the world. He thought that it wouldn’t be useful (too much data), could compromise things that shouldn’t actually be compromised, and might even get some folks named in them (or using things in them) killed. He specifically gave the documents to journalists to avoid this and to take himself out of the equation. He doesn’t tell Greenwald and others what to publish. Those folks decide on their own in their role as journalists. They decide what the public needs to know. Snowden’s role in this is done with the handover beyond him giving some commentary.

You may not like this but this is how it is and nothing is going to change it unless Greenwald or Poitras just put the docs up on bittorrent, which they aren’t going to do.

2 Likes

That’s never going to happen though.

Why do you suppose? Even if there were some prudent reasons, “never” is… a long time. Putting transparency and evidence-based society into action becomes less possible when most of the advocates don’t walk their talk.

Because Greenwald and Poitras have emphatically stated over and over that they aren’t going to just dump the documents on the net and that they are respecting Snowden’s wishes. Snowden has backed them up on that when asked too.

So, people can complain all they want but they are doing exactly what Snowden asked, have his full support, and have said they aren’t going to violate the trust he put in them to go through things first and not just dump.

But publishing does not necessarily equate to “dumping”. I wasn’t suggesting that they should publish every document. What I am critical of is that they do not seem to have actually published any of them.

Search harder. I have PDFs of published nsa docs.

1 Like

What I am critical of is that they do not seem to have actually published any of them.

Let’s stick to the matter at hand, shall we?

2 Likes

https://snowdenarchive.cjfe.org/greenstone/cgi-bin/library.cgi

1 Like