NY Times vocabulary quiz determines where you are from

The named cities were way off, but my personal “heat map” was a nice dark red for the state (and even part of the state) in which I actually live.

Apparently my named cities were inordinately (IMO) influenced by my use of the word “sunshower.”

The Devil is beating his wife is regional to Alabama. People here in NY think I’m crazy when I say it.

2 Likes

I got, well, “Error Loading”. Is that geographical by nature?

3 Likes

Actually, this is weird, my dad used to say this, and he was born in raised in Jersey (we lived in GA)… Odd, huh.

I had to do it twice to get a result, FWIW.

It said Detroit and Grand Rapids, MI because I say pop and Rockford, IL for kitty-corner. I’m from the London, Ontario area (2 hours west of Toronto). Interesting that there was enough of a distinction to place me to the west and you to the east.

http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_80.html

Apparently I am wrong. Well you could knock me over with a feather.

Spot on! It nailed me in Newark & Jersey City…

I’m wondering if NSA monitoring can do the same thing??? “Hey, that guy’s not really from California!.. Flag him!”

1 Like

I like “liquid sun.” I imagine being from a near-future Los Angeles.

1 Like

I’m from a different British colony, I got New York, Boston and Providence. Cool, I will take that. I have a lot of interest in the history and culture of that area.

Not surprising, I think. What did the map look like, apart from the cities, I mean.

I’m German, English is a foreign language to me, which I only warmed up to in my late teens, when I started to read Marvel and DC comics and watched Star Trek on Dutch TV and later more series and movies in their original Klingon, err. English.

So it doesn’t surprise me that my vocabulary all over the East Coast and West Coast, mostly Jersey City and New York. Though I wonder about Honolulu.

Fox’s Wedding, see the film “Dreams” by Akira Kurosawa. The have the same concept in Eastern Europe also, apparently.

Interesting… what we call potato bugs around here are scarabs, entirely different from isopods and a major crop pest in the USA. I’ve never heard a wood louse called a potato bug before!

@Ratel: Great pic, thanks! It looks like a super short African Giant Millepede. Those curl up, too, but they are too long to form a ball.

1 Like

Actually, yes. That’s one of the techniques in which the German National Police was even head of the FBI at least until a couple of years ago.

They could take a kidnapper’s call and pinpoint on where he was raised and lived later to an astonishingly accurate degree.

I’ve done it three times. The map blanks out for me. Raised Milwaukee by rural/immigrant folk. The combination of bubbler, verge, frosting/icing are two different things, and that dinner/supper are two different meals; dinner being the ‘main’ meal of the day…totally blew it up.

Arizona?

I think I need to work on my pronunciation.

1 Like

I’m a Brit. I’ve lived in the US for nearly 25 years, and in Philadelphia for 18 years. I answered the questions honestly, often reflecting my native pronounciation. It placed me right in Philadelphia. Who’da guessed?

1 Like

And (upon further poking around) I find that the various [animals] + [wedding/getting married] constructions are also found in African languages, Turkish, & Arabic. I can only find such usages on the other side of the Atlantic, so now I’m wondering which regions of the U.S. retained them.

It nailed where I was raised.

It showed my parents linguistic influence geographically.

It showed heat where I lived in and out of my twenties … and a tiny teeny tiny bit of heat where I have lived for over a decade.

Neat.

I got mostly red over northern California, which is where I grew up, but the cities are wrong. Also got a lot of red for Maine but I’ve never been there and neither has my family. Weird.