NY Times vocabulary quiz determines where you are from

Me too. Now only the American media could draw a map with some detail to the north, rather than a featureless void.

1 Like

So if you’re German and take this quiz:

New York, Washington DC or Raleigh. Weird.

The description in the quiz brought to my mind a Bobcat–an entirely different animal.

Seems like people whose English is directly influenced by Britain will end up in the North East.

NY metro area. Nailed it. Apparently my use of sneakers limited me to NY and New England, and the rest narrowed it down.

1 Like

As mentioned above, perhaps you’d think so. But I tried again and I definitely get the Bay Area (because fireflies, apparently).

I guess my family is from the SW (of England)…

amateurs… my grandfather could tell which small village in Somerset (UK no NJ) people came from by the way they pronounced placenames

Nailed Worcester, Mass (where I grew up till 11). I knew I was profiled as soon as I saw bubbler, grinder and tennis shoes for answers.

1 Like

I’m from Providence, Worcester and St Louis. That must have been one helluva night!

UK expat living in Detroit area ~25 years - it got me bang to rights. I answered truthfully, e.g. “truck” vs. “lorry”, and “you guys” vs. what I wish was “you lot” (Christopher Eccleston voice of course). Would have said “plimmies” if given the choice for “shoes worn in gym class (PE!)” though. Glad at least a few full-blue we-don’t-say-that-at-all-here maps came up - not completely Americanized yet!

Superb avatar by the way, @daneel! ;D

1 Like

I said fireflies, still got NE. Maybe it is a colony thing.

I’m a native Montrealer, and they placed me in NYC, Miami, and Honolulu! Fascinating stuff. Service roads for life.

The quiz insists I’m from northern New Jersey. I grew up in central New York (south of Syracuse), lived for three years in Washington, D.C. where I picked up the habit of saying “y’all” and then moved to Minnesota in 1986. Not sure where New Jersey fits into any of that.

It pegged me as Rochester or Buffalo as well (I grew up in Mississauga, so not too far off) because I call wood lice “potato bugs”. It said Detroit because I call the night before Hallowe’en “Devil’s Night”. Interesting, indeed.

It was laughably inaccurate for me. For some reason it wanted me to be from Santa Rosa, California. I’ll admit that I did live in Sunnyvale for a few years forty years ago but I’m from Pennsylvania, have lived in Texas, North Carolina, North Dakota, Alaska, California, Nevada, and Tennessee for varying lengths of time. Perhaps the test just isn’t up to the task of pinning me down.

I took the test and it suggested Yonkers, Jersey City and New York. I guess that makes sense. I’m Dutch and New York used to be New Amsterdam.

I tried again and it came back NY or Yonkers. But this was based entirely on sneakers.

It pegged me pretty well. Boston, Worcester, Providence. (We buy grinders and my hometown’s bowling ally is of the candle pin variety ) I’m pretty sure I pronounce “cot” and “caught” the same way but just posing the questions makes me question myself.

Also, I thought “yard sale” was fairly universal with “garage sale” being an alternate. Apparently, not so much.

There were a few examples of pronunciations or terms where I could have made two choices easily. I hate questions that only give you one option to choose from. It got my state right but not a part I would want to live in.

Here’s mine:

Like the other North-West European Islanders in the thread, It thought I was an odd Hawaii-California hybrid.

Which was surprising, because as soon as it gave me “Lorry”, “Car Boot Sale” and “Trainers” as options, I had expected the quiz to notice how blatantly non-American I was.

As to the result, I wonder what direction the Californian connection to my vocabulary runs? Have I picked up some terminology from US entertainment which is based there, or have we exported our idioms there?

And I haven’t got a clue what’s going on in central Wisconsin.

1 Like