Obama administration has secured 526 months of jail time for leakers

[Permalink]

1 Like

You can just feel the HOPE can’t you?

5 Likes

It’s a bad thing that they’re catching and prosecuting criminals?

2 Likes

Hopey and changey.
Like, changing the definition of hope.

3 Likes

It is obvious that this is evidence that Obama is soft and weak on National Security – if he wasn’t so soft and weak, then there wouldn’t be any leakers.

1 Like

What was the crime? Oh yeah, exposing illegal activities of the federal government under the administration of someone who promised to be transparent and protect the whistleblowers. Those crimes? And I thought they were courageous patriots.

Often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled. We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrongdoing and partners in performance. Barack Obama will strengthen whistleblower laws to protect federal workers who expose waste, fraud, and abuse of authority in government. Obama will ensure that federal agencies expedite the process for reviewing whistleblower claims and whistleblowers have full access to courts and due process.
change.gov - agenda - ethics

14 Likes

Why is it people think Obama was the one who was supposed to be doing the changing? The whole fucking point of his “change” thing was that the people should get off their asses and start organizing and petitioning and electing people to implement the changes they want.

8 Likes

Obama must be a dream come true for the various agency and department heads in D.C., since apparently they are running him, and not the other way around.

5 Likes

Jesus christ, thank you.

But the people in the Administration they’ve leaked information about? No jail time for them.

I especially blame Obama because he got elected on a promise of Not Being George Bush. The Bush Administration had less problem with leaks because they were just as crazy in public as they were in private and had Justice Department lawyers to write memos about how it was perfectly ok to torture people, build illegal prisons, and wiretap without warrants, and much of what Snowden leaked was infrastructure started under Bush, or sometimes Clinton.

6 Likes

Maybe because he promised to?

http://change.gov/agenda/ethics_agenda/

Protect Whistleblowers: Often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled. We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrongdoing and partners in performance. Barack Obama will strengthen whistleblower laws to protect federal workers who expose waste, fraud, and abuse of authority in government. Obama will ensure that federal agencies expedite the process for reviewing whistleblower claims and whistleblowers have full access to courts and due process.

8 Likes

As long as the argument is made that it “aids and abets the enemy” to expose wrongdoing by the government while it’s fighting the enemy, then that’s a great way to keep journalists from doing their job and protect the government when it does the wrong thing. It’s the kind of thing that happens regularly in authoritarian societies.

3 Likes

In what universe do you live in where exposing government abuse is criminal? Are you really saying that government abuse is acceptable? The government holds us accountable for our actions. Who holds them accountable? I would call them brave, principled men and women. You’re right, we should just sweep it all under the rug and we’ll be safe from the terrists.

2 Likes

If the “crime” is exposing corruption in the government, then, why yes, it is.

4 Likes

Yeah, I remember his campaign slogan: “Elect me if you want to change things yourself by activities other than electing me, because I’m not going to do shit.” That especially resonated with the youth.

You mean… elect people like… OBAMA? Or elect other people who won’t change anything because they weren’t elected to change things, they were elected so that people could elect people to change things.

Holy christ!

10 Likes

I think it might have something to do with all the changes he promised he would make. Here is his pre-election website listing all the changes he promised he would make. I really do think it contributed to people thinking he was promising change.

3 Likes

Wowsa. I mean that is just crazy. Talk about bait and switch. Though when you take out Manning’s sentence, that comes to 116 months, which doesn’t seem as bad, but still, as the article points out, much higher than others.

I have to wonder what his motive is for this? Does his narcissism have such a hold on him that he takes leaks like that as a personal attack and returns in kind?

4 Likes

Is feeding the trolls a crime?

2 Likes

I don’'t think you are a trolley nungesser. I just want to hear about the ones you say aided the enemy. Do they exist or are you making it up?

1 Like

If we do ignore the outlier, Manning, then the 8 to 3 ratio becomes 7 to 3. But also, two of the cases have not actually been tried yet, so in sentencing it’s really 5 to 3. 116 by 5 is 21.2, 24 by 3 is 8. So ignoring the outlier we still have sentences that are over 2.5 times as long.

It does seem pretty high.

1 Like