On Allen Ginsberg's 89th birthday, read his FBI file

[Read the post]

2 Likes

It’s a Frank O’Hara story rather than a Ginsburg story, but since O’Hara’s birthday was March 27th and I don’t want to wait more than nine months I’ll share it here:

At a reading of Howl when Ginsburg read, “I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness…” O’Hara whispered, “Good lord, do you think he means us?”

Happy birthday Mr. Ginsburg.

3 Likes

In support of free speech…

…and so on…

Sad that they checked up on Ginsberg, but at the very least the panopticon wasn’t yet in effect and the FBI made the right choice:

Their report concluded that Ginsberg’s “bizarre” activities did not warrant being added to the “Security Index” of potentially dangerous individuals to be arrested if martial law were declared in the United States.

Whereas now, we never have to make that decision because that data is already held in the gubmint’s clutches. So in a sense, one could claim that The Fearmonger Paranoia Act Patriot Act has freed up the state security apparatus to do more important things. Freedom! Profit! Kill me now!

2 Likes

Ginsberg’s “bizarre” activities did not warrant being added to the “Security Index” of potentially dangerous individuals to be arrested if martial law were declared in the United States.

I’ll take it that this “Security Index” is still around?
Wonder if you could file a FOIA request in reference to the F.B.I.'s “Security Index”

On the otherside of that coin, It’s nice to know they have a nice list of people to toss into those FEMA camps Alex Jones goes on about.

2 Likes

And yet Nancy Grace or certain Duggars are not likely to ever be on that list :unamused:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100261734/allen-ginsberg-camille-paglia-and-the-literary-champions-of-paedophilia/7

…and so on…

I appreciate the conservative Telegraph article that’s apparently for us “naive Leftists” and whatnot, but there’s also Ginsberg’s own words on the matter and so on…

https://www.ipce.info/library/miscellaneous/thoughts-nambla

He mentions there several times he’s not a paedophile, etc.

Also, I’m not sure how naive the Telegraph writer is or not, but enjoying some works of artists isn’t necessarily an endorsement of all of their ideas, etc.

Meanwhile

Perhaps the conservative Telegraph can cover some other international news?

Panel blasts Hastert in Foley scandal
Panel blasts Hastert in Foley scandal - USATODAY.com

Republican lawmakers and aides failed for a decade to protect male pages from sexual come-ons by former Rep. Mark Foley — once described as a “ticking time bomb” — but they broke no rules and should not be punished, the House ethics committee concluded Friday.

Related?

…and so on…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.