Open-carry cop-watchers say they are "pissed off patriots"

Pakistan? That is HILARIOUS. Sorry, but, from what I can tell, they have open and free elections. As far as religious oppression, since they are 97% Muslim, the general population is perfectly OK with religious oppression.

Sorry, but I am not buying this one.

The reasons are different. Seatbelts help save from from an accident when it happens. Guns can save your country from an oppressive government if one happens.

The differences are clear. Driving on the right vs. left is an arbitrary choice. It prevents nobody from driving, and which side of the road that you drive on will not protect you from your own government.

The fact that some countries have banned guns and have not become oppressive yet is not a guarantee that this is always the case.

Besides, this is moot. In America, we HAVE the 2nd amendment, which is the law of the land, and it will stay the law of the land until it is repealed. If you want to repeal it, go ahead and start a movement. Until then, do not undermine the Constitution.

Well, yes, the UK’s murder rate of 1 per 100,000 inhabitants, compared to 4.7 per 100,000 in the US, does seem rather to indicate that we have a grip on the problem. Of course we aren’t keen to encourage young hoodlums to run about with knives. That proves nothing.

6 Likes

You have apparently failed to grasp the nature of oppression, so perhaps it’s a little clearer why you cite it so often in defence of gun ownership. Lax regulation of firearms certainly isn’t helping the Christians that regularly get lynched on the basis of accusations of ‘blasphemy’ to defend themselves from oppression.

As for ‘undermining the Constitution’ - the First Amendment protects US citizens right to do precisely that. And just because you’ve enshrined the right to bear arms in law (in some form) doesn’t mean it’s automatically a good idea - after all, a government did it!

6 Likes

In case you haven’t been watching, the US already has an oppressive government.

Mike Brown - Killed because the cop said he was reaching for something in his waistband
John Crawford - Killed for carrying a BB gun in a store.
Tamir Rice - Killed for playing with an airsoft gun
Rumain Brisbon - Killed because the cop thought a pill-bottle was a gun

Perhaps I missed the memo, when did the NRA release a statement in support of any of these men/children gunned down by oppressive government officials?

8 Likes

So you’re saying that as long as the government is democratically elected and they only persecute religious minorities then it doesn’t count as an “oppressive government?”

Do I even need to explain how bonkers that is? Because I will totally Godwin the fuck out of this thread if I have to.

14 Likes

Sorry, Kevin preemtively anti-Godwinned:

However, in 1938, Germany effectively disarmed the Jews. This did not end well for them.

3 Likes

Cynicism is quite difficult to prove,

Hi. Please provide comprehensive responses to all the points raised in this video. Until then, just admit you like guns and don’t care about the safety of others.

PS: lol knives and clubs… always with the knives and clubs.

4 Likes

I continue to disagree, but as I mentioned earlier, I don’t have the energy for this argument. If you’re ever in Southern Indiana though, I’d happily buy you one of our fine brews.

Good call. Dude’s full of NRA “facts”.

Don’t feel the troll peeps.

PS: like we give a fuck about whether a selfish gun nut respects us or not.

2 Likes

lol… he thought you were talking about not-him.

1 Like

I like to call it “Talking points for morons magazine”.

2 Likes

Word. Here’s America’s position on the list of Intentional homicide per capita:

Apparently Kevin is happy with that position (yes, you read it right: the “axis of evil” Iran is a full 10 positions more safe. Meanwhile this is where Australia, New Zealand and the UK fall on that list. Canada ranks 46, for a comparison of another english-speaking North American country.

4 Likes

I think Kevin’s point is that Americans are so murderous that if you took their guns away they’d just club each other to death at the same rate.

8 Likes

I understand what he’s saying but it doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. The capacity to take someone’s life at the press of a button is precisely the problem. Attacking someone isn’t a walk in the park, and the victim’s fighting/self-defence ability is impossible for an attacker to know before the attack. A gun facilitates killing at the drop of a hat and from distance.

The last point that Jeffries makes in the video I posted (muskets are cool cause they give you a lot of time to calm down) extends to any weapon that isn’t instantly fired and quickly loaded. You can’t stop humans from wanting to kill each other sometimes, but taking away the capacity to do it on impulse will undeniably reduce the murder rate.

In any case, if these NRA deadshits were confident in the validity of their argument they wouldn’t be opposed to a trial period to test it out. If they agreed to this they could in the end claim that their contention was true, but since they know that the contention isn’t true they’d never agree to a trial period.

PS: these figures may merely relate to Americans being a killy bunch, but my point is that if that were my country on that position in the list, I’d be pretty willing to try anything to fix it (or just move to a place that doesn’t suck ass).

4 Likes

Wait, you’re in Southern Indiana? And there are good brews? Where? (A friend was just trapped in Indianapolis for two weeks and reported finding decent micro-brews. I was stunned. I heard reports of good cocktails there somewhere but was unable to find them. They’re well hidden in Bloomington, but I turned up a few. But I may have to make one or more family visits to E’ville in the near future, and even if I can borrow a car, I was unaware that there was anything drinkable to be had in the area. The drinks at Western Ribeye left… something to be desired, let’s say that.)

1 Like

Three Floyds is pretty good, though if you’ve already tried it, you obviously already don’t like it. I don’t think Upland is bad, but maybe I’m missing something. I keep saying I’m going to try Carson’s line, but I haven’t gotten around to it. I’m skeptical of Bloomington’s cocktail prowess, it’s contaminated by college bars, but I’m not a big cocktail person anyway.

2 Likes

I dunno, the Australian government is giving it some thought. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I am a proponent of gun ownership.

Because as long as the discourse is on that field, the creeping authoritarianists and do-gooders and busybodies and securocrats are too busy with guns to care about my lockable-blade multitool knife. Because if I have the choice between being legal and not cutting my fingers by accidental folding of the blade, I will always choose the latter.

The added risk of getting shot is worth the benefit of not getting in trouble for a blade, and it is somewhere deep in the statistical noise when compared with other risks, double so when you avoid places with known gang infestation.

Support what is controversial today, so the stuff you really care about won’t become the controversial one tomorrow.

1 Like

First, they came for the guns? etc. etc. :wink:

1 Like