Trailer for new documentary about The Black Panthers

[Read the post]

5 Likes

This looks great, and I look forward to seeing it.

2 Likes

Gov. Reagan criticizing a demonstration in support of the 2nd Amendment?

What was it that caused Gov. Reagan to speak out against gun rights so forcefully on this occasion?

5 Likes

Presumably because the second amendment doesn’t say:

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of white people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”

2 Likes

Yes @Immutable_Mike and wouldn’t that mean that Gov. Reagan was a conservative who “saw color” … despite all reports to the contrary?

2 Likes

If people want to understand the role of Black civil rights, and not just the Panthers, with the more violent end of the revolutionaries in the 70s, I can recommend “Days of Rage.” Quite an interesting book (and the Panthers don’t come off too badly).

Black folks arming themselves? Reagan was only down with white folks doing that, I suspect.

2 Likes

They must have been highly effective - Faux News still uses them as a jump-scare forty years later.

4 Likes

Ironically, many of the gun control law some white liberals support have their roots in racist Jim Crow laws.

e.g. Laws where one has to get a pistol permit or a sign off from the Sheriff office to buy a hand gun. That is still in the books in a few states, IIRC. Sounds reasonable, unless you have good ol’ boys running the system making sure only the “right” people get the permits.

2 Likes

Those were laws passed and supported by white southern racists.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the fucked up thing, isn’t it?

There is the problem of white, progressive patronizing of black movements.

1 Like

I generally avoid discussions of gun control, since I’m of two minds about it. I tend to see reason in a lot of the talking points from liberals who favor gun control.

But on the other hand: the Black Panthers.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a complicated issue for sure. Part of the problem regarding guns in the US is not really about guns, I suspect, but the general alienation that causes things like mass shootings.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.