Pathetic, smirking attention-whore Martin Shkreli does something

One time when I was a kid at a birthday party, Dawkins ate the last piece of birthday cake before I got the chance to have any. Then he proceeded to purge and mutter, “that’s life, kid”.

wait, what thread is this?

5 Likes

You know there was that one time Dawkins helped me free myself of the shackles of religion. Then he euthanized the perfectly healthy family cat, and without breaking eye-contact, whispered “I am the force of natural selection.

6 Likes

Kanye should take the money and partner with John Cage on that album.

1 Like

Christ what a late stage capitalism asshole.

6 Likes

That’s the first time I’ve seen the word “enjoy” in the same sentence as “Kanye West.”

What if we need Martin Shkrelli in the same way that Christians need Judas Iscariot?

1 Like

Right, he’s the epitome of how not to be; a useful example.

1 Like

That’s absurd, from my atheist point of view. God decided that “the wages of sin is death” even though he knew humans after eating the apple would then be incapable of not sinning. So he tried a couple of times to rid the world of sin (unnecessarily causing human suffering. The bible says god is all-powerful, all-loving and all-knowing right? If so, then he either would have known that his efforts wouldn’t have sufficed if he were all-knowing, his efforts would have worked if he were all-powerful, so that leaves us where we are. This god wants the world to suffer, because he’s not all-loving. For if he were all-powerful and all-knowing, and all-loving, he wouldn’t have created the guinea worm and other such monsters that live by the suffering of others exclusively) Then decided that a blood sacrifice of himself to himself would be good enough to fogive human suffering. Even though he could just choose to forgive humans.

Judas is a disposable role. He can be replaced in scripture, as well as avoided, and the whole plan on its surface and deeper in is just the farce of egomaniacal pre-bronze-age savages later told by barely literate other savages.

As far as martin shkreli goes, he’s just a form of destructive entertainment. His significance is nothing, as is judas’s, so I guess, perhaps they are similar.

1 Like

Well, I straight up disagree with you on the Christianity part, but I don’t really have a dog in that fight. Here’s my perspective on it: As the narrative currently stands, Judas is both vile betrayer and instrument of God’s will. Jesus of Nazareth wouldn’t be Christ without Judas.

My point is this: I wonder if Martin Shkrelli will be the sonofabitch that prompts some positive change in our healthcare system and/or economy. He’s certainly shoved it right in the face of Congress that the system allows and even embraces price gouging.

1 Like

I agree, although any schmuck could’ve filled the role. (although I maintain if such a god existed there needn’t have been a betrayal in the first place)

Sure. If not economically, certainly he made a socio-political impact. While I hate him, because his strategy takes advantage of people who would die without his product, I think the events he spawned may be a wakeup call to society.

Personally: I don’t like the idea of equating real events with those that happened in a made-up book voted on by motivated reasoners over four hundred years ago.

I’m awfully blunt in my opinion of abrahamic religions, but that’s mostly becuase I grew up in xtian fundamentalism, and want to break it down as best I can. It’s manipulative, and poorly evidenced, and evil, as far as I’m concerned. So I relish destroying it.

Anyway, I agree from a literary sense shkreli is a kind of judas, but I don’t think judas comes from a body of work that’s worthwhile for anyone to remember, generally speaking.

2 Likes

I sincerely enjoy his album “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy”. It’s a masterpiece of production.

Shkreli is another example of how having a shit ton of money isolates one from getting real world feedback on how inappropriate their behavior is.

1 Like

He’s like a real life Les Grossman

2 Likes

Maybe the word “whore” will stop being applied specifically to sex workers. After all, there’s nothing more inherently undignified about selling access to your body than selling your time to Walmart or a call center or KPMG or Google. So, taking sexual prudery out of the equation, what really makes someone a whore? A willingness — eagerness, even — to debase oneself, but out of sheer venality rather than desperate necessity? That works for me, but suddenly we’ve got a lot more whores wearing suits and ties…

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember the first time I got high after Sunday School.

4 Likes

I think we need a concerted effort on the Internet to Santorumize the name Shkreli.

2 Likes

Oh fuck yeah bud!

I think getting shkreli-ing is pleasuring yourself exclusively, regardless of the pleasure or consent of anybody else involved.

1 Like

Is it just me, or is this guy ushering in a new era of artistic patronage? Soon, every creep from here to Guam is gonna be hitting up artists in the hopes of retaining a specific piece to be tucked away through perpetuity.
If someone would offer 300,000 for an old Ford Bronco, someone would offer 20 million for such a secretive treasure. A wise investment, if you can make it happen.

Yes, I thought that was the joke.

Sorry, I mean - which particular smirking asshole Republican front-runner might you be thinking of? Because there are so many, you see. (Which is also a joke, albeit not one I find very funny.)

1 Like