People have a terrible time drawing the Apple logo from memory

[Permalink]

When I got a black 1959 Cadillac in 1984 (we dubbed it the Batmobile), my sister made a sweatshirt for me with the Batman logo she remembered from watching the TV series in the sixties. It’s not much like the original, but 'it’s good enough that I’ve had my mom make several copies of it over the decades as the shirt wore out over and over. And people really like it. I think it keys into their own imperfect memories of the logo.

1 Like

I always forget how many horizontal rainbow stripes it has.

8 Likes

You mean with their non-preferred hand and with their eyes closed? How can anybody draw like this? Those were all UCLA undergraduates, no less.
I just can’t believe this :frowning:

3 Likes

Shorter, alternative title:
People have a terrible time drawing

9 Likes

The Neutral Evil participant was clearly having a laugh with that John Sculley reference. I would have expected that sort of thing from Chaotic Neutral.

Yeah, I’d have a tough time drawing this from memory…

6 Likes

I can’t even draw a straight line between two points. Not everyone has practice at drawing. Hell, I’m rusty at even hand writing. You don’t need to hand write when things like PCs and cellphones exist.

2 Likes

Uh, there are eight of them. And they’re all blue.

Wait! That’s IBM. Never mind.

Am I wrong here? The Apple users scored worse than non-Apple users.

It’s like atheists vs. born-again christians on who knows the bible better.

I get the feeling that most people could do better if they had never seen the logo at all and were just told the name of the company.

That’s only really true in America. In liberal democracies, like most of Western Europe where people grow up atheist by default, the christians actually do tend to know their stuff, and the general population of mostly non-religious people who were never force-fed cherry picked scripture as children don’t really care to know what the holy texts say.

2 Likes

And some of you guys think I’m the gullible one?

I have a copy of a study somewhere on my computer from years ago, where the authors concluded that PC users wrote better thesises (sp?) than Apple users.

They figured that because PCs were harder to use, the PC users put more effort into learning how to use their computers. The PC users also tended to approach their paper writing the same way and produced better researched work, with fewer errors.

That seems like painting with an awfully broad brush (ba-dum psshh). I’d be curious to know how they went about rating the work, normalizing the data, and the size of the N, and whether the sample had any chance of being representative of the population.

2 Likes

To be fair, the Apple logo is usually positioned so that everybody except the person using the device can see it.

2 Likes

I’d like to see all these people draw the Microsoft logo.

1 Like

Do you mean the actual microsoft logo, or one of the umpteen windows logos?

I can remember exactly what the microsoft logo looks like, but I’d need a straight edge and a circle stencil and a protractor to draw it, simply because I have no talent with fine motor skills.

I’ve heard the same argument being made about Chinese speakers, with regard to their proficiency at other subjects. Now that a lot of people use computers though, they’re forgetting how to write accurately by hand (so like @LDoBe’s point, but it’s difficult to write characters correctly if you only ever type them phonetically).

1 Like

When velcro-strapped sneakers came out they were briefly popular among children (and their parents.) There was widespread fretting that the new generation would grow up not knowing how to tie shoelaces. Then everyone got sick of that damned tearing sound and velcro fell out of favor.

1 Like