“Pixels” movie a sexist pile of crap

I’ve found it to be the opposite, here. Most arcades I’ve been to recently only take tokens, which cost much more than a quarter. Either that, or they only accept $1/$2 coins (in Canadia)

2 Likes

This review sums things up incredibly well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFD2293oGvA

And the concept of video games invading was handled better in a 6 minute Anthology of Interest short in Futurama years ago.

8 Likes

Weirdly, although completely ripping off the plot of the story from Futurama’s “Anthology of Interest II”, officially the movie is an adaptation of the French short, Pixels, making it doubly derivative:

At least the guy who made the short got paid off…

10 Likes

Harry Dean Stanton did the Care Bears movie, but he says he has no recollection of it. Even a shitty movie can buy a lot of really good drugs…

8 Likes

I was going to say:

“sexist pile of crap” doesn’t quite convey that it is (A) a pile of crap and (B) also sexist.

2 Likes

As I understand it, there is indeed a scene where they win a pixelated woman as a trophy.

3 Likes

【・ヘ・?】

Ha! I did NOT click on that link! I may still be productive today!

2 Likes

Yeah I know, they where originally going to have Princess Daphne from Dragon’s Lair in the movie for that role

As in, were it not sexist, it would still be a pile of crap.

1 Like

That’s … actually worse.

Ha. I automatically read that in his voice which probably made it funnier.

2 Likes

Thing is I liked few of sandler’s movies.

Happy Gilmore was great.

Billy Madison… I hated. Just… I fucking hated it.

Fifty First Dates. Actually kinda enduring.

Click. Great. Started out light and fun and then got progressively darker.

This? The fact the girls are token at best, one of the ‘dream’ girls that is a game character dies, then is a ‘reward’ for winning. Just… BLEH.

Yeah, now it’s special. Oh well. I’ll wait for an Amazon sale.

I recognized the whole-fabric ripoff from trailer one. They even had the IRL Space Invaders gag.

Do they end the movie handing over a lot of quarters to Lrrr, ruler the planet Omicron Persei 8 so he can do his laudry?

1 Like

Is that a direct reference to strip poker?

1 Like

And Penelope, which I haven’t seen but am in favour of because it gave us this:

16 Likes

7 Likes

I’ve actually seen that (I have a kid and it has Chrstina Ricci, who is also awesome)… much like his appearance in X-Men, his size has nothing to do with his character.

I wish I could explain how happy that sentence fragment made me…

4 Likes