Prague astronomical clock: a lovely photograph by a Boing Boing reader

[Permalink]

1 Like

A clock so marvelous that according to the legend the 15 century Prague council members had the clock maker blinded so that he wouldn’t be able to make another! You have to go there and “Czech” it out in person: the animated figures (including Death) move about to mark the hours.

2 Likes

Isn’t that also the legend of the Taj Mahal?

Sounds like disabling people was popular back then.

That was what happened until IP was invented, whereupon the rich ceased to kill and blind people and just went for ruining them with lawyers.

1 Like

When I was there I stood underneath it for a little over an hour to see the animated figures. I had missed it by that much, and once I’d seen it I stood there completely stunned.

This was also when it was still Czechoslovakia.

I like the old style Arabic numerals on the outer dial…Since they don’t line up with the Roman numerals just inside of them, I have to wonder what they represent…Sidereal time?

And cursory internet research reveals that it tracks Ancient Bohemian Time, where the day begins and ends as sunset.

Which is also Jewish time. Bereshit says “and the evening and the morning, one day”. This was widely adopted, which is why in England there was morning dress (daytime) and evening dress.
I have given up trying to explain to people that evening and morning are not the same as a.m. and p.m., and that therefore morning dress applied till sunset, though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.