Prince William Portrait

Totally agree. This is a guy who is an expressionist.

The portrait is actually mild when you consider that the color scheme isn’t too harsh, and instead he focused on movement. The title of the work is “Fatherhood” and William is being pulled in three different directions at one time. That’s not accidental. This artist can draw a balanced face. What he’s trying to put on canvas is the distracted nature of being a parent for the first time.

1 Like

I’ll say it then.
William sneers, has a sense of privilege, and is vapid.

2 Likes

Shades of Jerry Brown’s official portrait from his first turn as governor of California.

1 Like

That might have been the idea, but I can’t look at it without wondering if William’s father is really Peter Beardsley.

3 Likes

Looks like he had a stroke.

It is not one of his best works. William’s face is little bit too long and his eyes look weird and there is something else off about his face that I can’t quite put my finger on. The artist needed to spend more time working on this painting to bring it to life. It appears he struggled painting William’s portrait. Personally if I had painted this I wouldn’t have unveiled it to the public. I would have scraped it and started over again and not done such a drab painting. William isn’t a drab person.

1 Like

Not at all! The Jerry Brown painting works. The Prince William picture does not. It is truly crap. Somewhat talented crap (I certainly couldn’t do it), but crap nonetheless.

I think the something else that you can’t put your finger on is that the mouth is subtly misplaced. Eh, there’s probably others…

1 Like

Are we not mentioning the fact that the pic Rob has illustrated his post with is a photoshopped version of the original with extra distortion? Or have people just not noticed? Or are my eyes even wonkier than the optician says?

1 Like

Personally, I love many of Bachardy’s works. He captures an expressive feel for a person in a few hours what literally takes me days to do. The Brown portrait is a direction I have been trying to scoot my style towards - not to imitate, but to get a little looser in my expressiveness without getting bogged down in the details.

I also like the sitter’s actual expression. I read an article by a woman who sat for Bachardy once, and says that he literally stared at her for almost three hours while occasionally making small talk (if I remember what I read correctly), then in less than an hour, had the painting finished.
I imagine Brown’s uncomfortable expression shows how he felt about being closely scrutinized for that amount of time.

1 Like

I noticed, and commented late enough that I figured other people had gotten the joke. My comments are about the actual portrait. (The pull of his attention is up right, forward, and down left.) I figured other people knew about the edit as well.

Note to others: If you have trouble picking up on where the portrait is Pshopped, just click through to the full article. A few head-on examples of the portrait are included there.

1 Like

I thought of “The Kramer”.

1 Like

Looks like he does frown, after all.

1 Like

Yes the mouth makes him look like he has had a stroke or something.

Prince Melty Face.

He’s royal, he has a servant do that for him

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.