Quotes on religion and the mythical Christian solar god Jesus's association with the Sun

9 Likes

And on to the Faroe islands? I still think it was the other way around.

For sure there was a Viking connection to the Cydonia pyramids.

1 Like

I had to shop the heck out of that thing to clean up Cleo, the kid, etc., but somehow didn’t notice the guy in the slacks and cardigan in the back…

7 Likes

Is that a broom in his hand?

4 Likes

I actually clicked play on the “20 facts” one this time. What follows is some commentary on things I noticed. I’ve ignored those that are non-controversial (e.g. it contains three burial chambers!) or purely speculative with no real facts presented:

Fact 20: “It’s the oldest […] Egyptian pyramid.”. Bzzt! Incorrect! (And we’re off to a good start. ;)) It’s the oldest pyramid at Giza. There are about a half-dozen other known pyramids located elsewhere in Egypt that are older.

Fact 19: “The descending passage pointed towards the star Alpha Draconis circa 2170 to 2044 BCE.” Irrelevant, as the pyramid had been built in the early 26th century BCE, almost 400 years earlier.

Fact 16: “The Great Pyramid is located at the centre of the land-mass of the Earth.” This is relying upon a 19th century measurement made by Charles Piazzi Smyth, who is infamous in the field of Egyptology for his theories about the pyramid. (Among his claims: it was built by the Hebrews, based on units of measurement passed down by God to Noah.) It’s also off by about 1000km, as recent, more accurate measurements have shown that the geographical centre is located in northern Turkey.

Fact 14: “There are only two other pyramids known to have swivel doors. One was Khufu’s father’s pyramid, and the other was his grandfather’s pyramid.” Slight problem dissecting this one: Khufu’s father was Sneferu, who has three different pyramids associated with him. We don’t know who Khufu’s grandfather was. While there is some speculation that it was Huni, Sneferu’s predecessor, this would cause problems with the scribes’ traditional placing of Huni & Sneferu in different dynasties. Either way, Huni did not complete a pyramid. The only one even slightly associated with him is Sneferu’s first pyramid, who had continued it after Huni’s death. That pyramid collapsed in Sneferu’s reign while it was still being constructed and was never completed.

Fact 12: “There have been no writing or hieroglyphics found inside the Great Pyramid.” Bzzt! Wrong. Try again.

Fact 11: “The temperature inside is constant, and equal to the average temperature of the earth: 20C[…]” Average global temperature is actually quite hard to calculate, which is why scientists dealing with climate change prefer to talk about changes to the global average rather than the average itself. That said, under most measurements we’d have to have blown way past the infamous 2° temperature increase to have an average of 20C.

Fact 6: “The four faces of the pyramid are slightly concave. The only pyramid to be built this way.” There are three potential problems here: we don’t know if they were concave when the casing stones were present. We don’t know if the concaveness was deliberate. Finally, a decent number of known pyramids collapsed in antiquity, meaning that we can’t really say much about what they looked like when they were still standing.

Fact 2: “[The pyramids at Giza] are precisely aligned with the stars of the constellation of Orion.” This is popular among some New Age circles, but is… controversial… among astronomers, who have all kinds of technical arguments against it. (Including that the original image used to prove the claim was flipped upside-down.)

Fact 1 is another “this shaft was precisely aligned with a star”—in this case Zeta Orionis. The time period is at least somewhat closer, being only off by a century.

5 Likes

More importantly: is that Bernie Sanders?

6 Likes

Really seems to be a broom. Behind him is what looks like a woman wearing modern clothes leaning on a column checking out the scene, and between the neighboring columns there seem to be some un-Romanesqe people at a table. Guess they were slacking a little on clearing the set.

Broom guy’s clearly either Bernie Sanders or the Zodiac Killer’s grandfather.

9 Likes

It’s like he was cleaning the place and decided to see what all the hullaballoo was over there.

7 Likes

This is the key to our disagreements I think. The trick here is that Afro-Centrist scholars don’t pay enough respect to the incredibly important events that happened mostly in the late 1600s/early 1700s (yes, mostly in Northern European pale-skinned cultures). Those cultures had inherited/adpoted a Greco-Roman intellectual culture (though not ethnicity, Greco-Roman culture isn’t and never was “white.”) Then they hit a turning point in the Battle of the Ancients and Moderns, the Ancients lost, and the Enlightenment was born. (This is a generalization)

After that, there was a general vague pious admiration of the ancients (often accompanied by snickering at them), but Western intellectual culture effectively abandoned the Greco-Roman mindset and moved into the world of the Enlightenment that rejected the authority of revealed religion, the authority of ancient thinkers, and got to thinking for themselves again. Plato, Aristotle, and the rest lost their pedestals and were looked at as thinkers worthy of critical analysis rather than ancient founts of revealed wisdom.

So even if we decided to accept as true the ideas that:
• Egypt was at the root of the “Greek Miracle,”
• Black Athena was true,
• Egypt was full of people that all looked like African-Americans, and
• Egypt was a world power that shaped the intellectual development of Greece and Rome,
it’s a few hundred years too late to care about any of it as anything but a footnote. Ancient cultures aren’t venerated like they were a few hundred years ago, they’re now an odd, sometimes interesting study, but unimportant to the workings of the modern world which freed itself from the intellectual trap of unquestioning veneration of ancientness as authority. Ancientness now basically means people from long ago who were incredibly ignorant about all kinds of things, made cool looking art, make for cool settings in movies, and whose thinkers were sometimes lucky guessers. Afro-centrism is an obsolete model that doesn’t fit the modern world, but is looking at the world through an obsolete pre-Enlightenment lens, and it’s stuck in the intellectual trap of veneration of ancientness as authority.

4 Likes

The broom guy shows up in this version as well:

(20 seconds in, and then 30 seconds in)

7 Likes

9 Likes

I wait for his detailed response to this…no, I don’t. I expect he’ll post another youtube video about pyramid power instead. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It was mostly me thinking out loud to sort out why the whole project felt like it was based on a kind of thinking that was, well, odd and archaic.

1 Like

It is the same kind of thinking we see in @khephra’s “Vote for Clinton” thread.

At least he (?) admitted that it all comes down to politics and representation and not actual history.

I still think he’s describing Wakanda.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Spoken like someone who’s never been inside! It is stifling. Difficult to breathe, even. Well into the 100’s in Fahrenheit.

7 Likes

I have no idea what that image is supposed to mean, but I laughed.

1 Like

Moving the goal posts. I even quoted the exact question before answering it. But now the question is magically different, you see, so somehow I’m the one at fault for not answering correctly. :wink:

6 Likes

Great quote, thanks for the mnemonic hint, intended or unintended. I like quotes because they are medium to short, easy to read, they can also be risque, brash, thoughtful, funny, informative and philosophical.

A short bio on Elizabeth Cady Stanton, followed by ten of her religious quotes~

Elizabeth Cady Stanton (1815-1902) was a iconic, controversial, and outspoken feminist, women’s rights activist, women’s suffragist (women’s right to vote) and social reformer.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton was a co-author of “The Woman’s Bible” a best selling two part book authored by Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Matilda Joslyn Cage and a group of 26 other feminist and women rights activists.

Characterized as radical, controversial and attacked by the religious establishment, as well as women activists because they felt it hurt the women’s suffrage movement --“The Woman’s Bible” published in 1895 and 1898 challenged the religious establishment and dogma that assigns a subservient and submissive role to women to the benefit of men.

From: http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/stanton.htm

Ten Religious Quotes by Elizabeth Cady Stanton ~

“How can any woman believe that a loving and merciful God would, in one breath, command Eve to multiply and replenish the earth, and in the next, pronounce a curse upon her maternity? I do not believe that God inspired the Mosaic code, or gave out the laws about women which he is accused of doing.”-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton, from Ira D Cardiff, What Great Men Think of Religion, quoted from James A Haught, ed, 2000 Years of Disbelief

“Women are afraid. It is unpopular to question the bible. They are creatures of tradition. They fear to question their position in the testament, as they feared to advocate suffrage fifty years ago. Now they are quarreling as to which were among the first to advocate it.
You see they are not used to abuse as I am. In Albany, fifty years ago, when I went before the legislature to plead for a married woman’s right to her own property, the women whom I met in society crossed the street rather than speak to me.”-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Interview, Chicago Record (June 29, 1897), quoted from Annie Laurie Gaylor, Women Without Superstition, page 105

“The religious superstitions of women perpetuate their bondage more than all other adverse influences.”-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton, from Laird Wilcox and John George, eds., Be Reasonable: Selected Quotations for Inquiring Minds, quoted from James A Haught, ed, 2000 Years of Disbelief

“The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women’s emancipation.”-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton, quoted from Free Thought Magazine (Sept. 1896)

“I know of no other book that so fully teaches the subjection and degradation of women.”
– Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Eight Years and More (1898), page 395

“One remarkable fact stands out in the history of witchcraft; and that is, its victims were chiefly women. Scarce one wizard to a hundred witches was ever burned or tortured.”
– Elizabeth Cady Stanton, “The Christian Church and Woman,” from the Index, Boston, ca. 1888.

“All the men of the Old Testament were polygamists, and Christ and Paul, the central figures of the New Testament, were celibates, and condemned marriage by both precept and example.”.-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton, from Ira D Cardiff, What Great Men Think of Religion, quoted from James A Haught, ed, 2000 Years of Disbelief

"When women understand that governments and religions are human inventions; that bibles, prayer-books, catechisms, and encyclical letters are all emanations from the brain of man, they will no longer be oppressed by the injunctions that come to them with the divine authority of “thus saith the Lord.”-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton, quoted from Thomas S Vernon, Great Infidels, quoted from James A Haught, ed, 2000 Years of Disbelief

“The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading.”-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Free Thought magazine (November, 1896), quoted from Freedom From Religion Foundation, “What They Said About Religion” (Nontract #4)

“How anyone, in view of the protracted sufferings of the race, can invest the laws of the universe with a tender loving fatherly intelligence, watching, guiding and protecting humanity, is to me amazing.”-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton, letter to Henry Stanton (August 2, 1880), quoted from from James A Haught, ed, 2000 Years of Disbelief

1 Like
6 Likes