Church nativity scene puts the holy family in cages, because that's how America deals with asylum-seekers like Christ

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/08/christ-in-a-cage.html

15 Likes

tumblr_1803f5aa27a06234bb53d1933cc01e53_b93d0d31_640

23 Likes

40 Likes

Nice. This happened in my hometown, where even the churches are mostly comprised of left-wing peacenik types.

25 Likes

And then, they don’t keep records for where the kid ends up, so we don’t really know who the “holy child” is.

18 Likes

“What Child is This?” isn’t just a Christmas carol anymore.

38 Likes

Its striking how all the religious founders were refugees-- not just Jesus, but Muhammad and Moses too.

11 Likes

Krishna, Buddha, Ghanesh… you might mean how all the middle east prophets …

9 Likes

If not having a register helped save Jesus from Herod, then it should be enough for those (other) brown kids. /s

6 Likes

Cue the IRS trying to strip this church of its tax exempt status in 3… 2… 1…

3 Likes

You can see some other nativity scenes they have done over the years here. 2013 is about Treyvon Martin.

http://claremontumc.org/CurrentIssues/Archives/AdventsPast/

4 Likes

I wouldn’t normally think of Krishna and Ganesh as being founders of religions…

(Although you could probably say the same thing about Moses, while we’re at it.)

5 Likes

and L. Ron Hubbard, David Koresh, Jim Jones…

3 Likes

Joe Smith.

5 Likes

Didn’t the parents of Jesus move from one part of the Roman Empire to another part? Herrod was only a client king.

I mean, the political message is fine enough but… that’s not how the story went, is it? Is it more or less convincing if you mangle to story to make a point?

I think, if you are going to use Christianity to make a point about this you could do a lot more with just the fact that for all its faults (life-long atheist, here, so take with a grain of salt) the message of Christ is entirely uninterested in barriers of nationality (seeing as it predates them) and, mostly, class.

That seems salient. This just seems… odd. Or do I have my 1st century history all wrong?

2 Likes

Very interesting and on the point remark, and, as a fellow atheist, I admire your absence of leniency for facts. But this is religion we are dealing with. And so morals, emotional appeals et al. If you accept the Flight Into Egypt part (see here) then the refugee thing is a bit more to the point. I have no idea about the leanings and acceptations of that Methodist Church in particular; the church COULD use another example from the Bible to lecture the actual POTUS and his vizirs on refugees and whatnot by taking a cue from the Exodus, but since that is also not based on fact… MY take on it, and Jesus was keen on pointing this out, something that is LEGAL does not necessarily mean it’s MORAL (and right).

3 Likes

According to Christian tradition (if disputed by historians), Herod ordered the execution of all male children two years old and under in the vicinity of Bethlehem. So it’s perfectly reasonable to frame the Nativity story as “a refugee family seeking safety and shelter” regardless of what authority Herod ultimately reported to.

18 Likes

In all mythology, I don’t think there’s even been a story where killing some predicted one as a child ever worked. Mass murder, exposing the baby on a hillside with his feet stapled, eating it, whatever.

“And so they found the child, killed it, and all the important people lived happily ever after.” <= this never happens.

12 Likes

You’d think Voldemort would have been well-read enough to know better, right?

8 Likes

Zoroaster thinks your list is both good and evil … but secretly Zoroaster wants on list.

3 Likes