Church nativity scene puts the holy family in cages, because that's how America deals with asylum-seekers like Christ

i grew up in the methodist church and even though ive drifted away as an adult, i have been proud of it for a few reasons. The modern church seems to emphasize openness and forgiveness and never talks about damnation. Its sacraments and ceremonies are open to anyone and not dogmatic, they let symbols be just symbols rather than saying “this literally is blood” or whatever. its members have often supported illegal immigrants and gay rights. but last year, because of a growing division between more liberal and more conservative congregations, they took a vote and decided not to allow gay pastors. it was really disheartening and i feel weird going back. im glad some of the individual churches are still making statements like this. I wish the church as a whole would take more of a stand.

9 Likes

Selection bias. If it works, there is no story.

11 Likes

Yikes, I’m getting dark. Anyway, I love their nativity scene. Point nicely made.

3 Likes

This is preaching the way it should be done!

3 Likes

What are you talking about? It’s probably worked very well 99% of the time.

It’s just that nobody who successfully used the strategy of killing their rival’s offspring ever publicized the act, because having a reputation as a baby killer is almost never a good thing.

5 Likes

Judaism existed before Moses, sure, but he certainly changed and codified it enough to count as a founder, no? Whether or not there was an associated name change.

Whatever this signals, we can be sure it’s not another Good Omen, can’t we?

2 Likes

7 Likes

I dunno. It was wozhername’s first prediction with no track record of them coming true. Besides, it was reported by Snape, and who’d trust him?

He probably weighed it, thought “Hell, I’m behind seven horcruxes, and fortune favours the bold.”

2 Likes

I still have no desire to go to church- but if I had to be pushed into one, it’d be this one.

Christianity in America is near dead- because the “Christians” are letting people like Trump speak for them rather than speaking up. They are afraid of turning their religious beliefs into a political side that doesn’t align with the beliefs of some of their patrons.

I say some of their patrons don’t understand what Christ actually did or stood for and I will tell them to their face how ignorant I find them and how disgusting I find their beliefs when they try to defend locking up children and treating immigrants like a disease, especially when they are usually an immigrant themselves and recently.

I grew up Christian and I am not religious anymore. It’s how I was raised but my family let me think for myself.

As much as it’s easy to tear the Christian religion apart on hypocrisy everywhere, I’d like to think there were a few good points if Jesus ever actually existed. And despite the innumerable revisions to what is considered the various Bibles used by denominations now, the people who support Donald Trump and use religion as their crutch thinking they will be saved to support their inhumanity will be going to hell of a lot quicker than I ever will. Those folks have the express train down, if one existed.

The silence of humane Christians in America has silenced any fucks I still give about the religion. If the caring and the empathetic among them who claimed to follow their God will not speak up against the evil regardless of party, they have no right to claim anything from anyone.

Now excuse me, I’m going to go stereotypically listen to black metal. Because I actually like it, even though it’s form of “evil” towards religion is a joke too.

By the way, hell is a joke. So’s heaven. All we got is here- and being humane to the people alive now. Go be human- and help someone. Whatever form that takes.

I can see this turning into a book…or movie or series of book and movies.
Seemingly regular child, locked up in the cupboard under the stairs soon to realize he is a wizard the son of god and has to free the world of evil by fighting he-who-most-not -be-named the devil.

1 Like

… and in the last episode learns that he is, in fact, the devil. :slight_smile:

Strange to see US Christians actually acting like Christians (in the whole ‘loving thy neighbour’, ‘turning the other cheek’, ‘faith hope and charity’ sense). Not something you see very often.

And in the next season you find out that actually god and devil are actually the same person…

1 Like

I was referring to the fact that Moses was almost certainly mythical, much like Krishna or Ganesh.

On the one hand, I would suspect the “faithful” might claim that God wouldn’t allow them to be separated. But then I wonder, if God would break the law, doesn’t that mean the law isn’t just?

I don’t have anyone within my immediate monkeysphere arguing that what’s happening at the border is good, so I can’t test out those ideas.

2 Likes

Going to Bet Leḥem in Judea seems perfectly reasonable for Jews. It is our native land after all…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.