Satanic Temple installed baby Baphomet display at Illinois Capitol building

Originally published at: Satanic Temple installed baby Baphomet display at Illinois Capitol building | Boing Boing

15 Likes

By incredible coincidence this deity was also an infant of mixed parentage who was born in a manger.

34 Likes

:rofl:

29 Likes

49 Likes

their mission is “to encourage benevolence and empathy, reject tyrannical authority, advocate practical common sense, oppose injustice, and undertake noble pursuits for the individual will.”

No wonder a Catholic bishop finds them abhorrent.

51 Likes

They should have taken a page from Baby Yoda and made it Funko Pop levels of cute.

13 Likes

Good to see that the old instincts of the Church haven’t faded with age. Such a shame that they couldn’t order the kind of official censure and prosecutions they used to be able to, huh?

19 Likes

In odd I trust.

11 Likes

According to the Satanic Temple, their mission is “to encourage benevolence and empathy, reject tyrannical authority, advocate practical common sense, oppose injustice, and undertake noble pursuits for the individual will.”

Season 9 Phoebe GIF by Friends

ETA: You know, I am seriously considering joining this crowd.

26 Likes

Something like this?

21 Likes

Love me a good magic spell fight! :smiley:

7 Likes

I like my coffee like I like my women – bitter and murky. :smiley:
(apologies to David Mamet.)

6 Likes

Depends on if they are looking for converts or just want to be provocative.

3 Likes

19 Likes

I get what they’re doing and that don’t really worship satan so couldn’t they get their point across without the use of the satan imagery?

But if it’s shock value without the hope of people hearing their message then score.

3 Likes

Their goal is to convince municipalities to stop with sectarian, religious holiday displays, full stop. Either welcome all, or deny all. I am in full support of their methods and media. Let churches put up public displays, as is their right. Town halls have no business displaying manger scenes or crosses.

44 Likes

The image of a guy bloody from having a spear pushed in his side, with a bloody crown of thorns on his head while being slowly tortured to death by being nailed to a cross seems a hell of a lot more shocking.

48 Likes

I understand that because I sought out their website to see what they are all about.

Maybe a plaque with their reasoning or mission statement would help people see what they are doing. Just putting a baby satan with no explanation other than a press release that most people will never see really doesn’t help them get their point across.

I also agree with what they are trying to do, I just think their method could use a bit of a tweak.

I used to think more as you do, but I think the shock aspect is what makes it an effective rebuttal against the sectarian messages. The older I get, the more I lose patience with the lack of progress kicking churches and preachers out of government functioning. I’m what you might call a big-tent anti-theist. There is a place for the sorts of things you’re advocating, and a place for more shocking displays of anti-sectarian protests. Secularists need every tool in the box.

20 Likes

This battle has been playing out for years in places like Illinois, Oklahoma, and Florida. The opposition knows exactly what’s going on.

18 Likes