Satanic Temple statue unveiled at Arkansas State Capitol

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/17/satanic-temple-statue-unveiled.html

11 Likes

More of these kind of Christians, please.

Also more Fred Rogers and Jimmy Carters.

55 Likes

No matter what these extremists may claim, it will be a very cold day in hell before an offensive statue will be forced upon us

These liberal snowflakes, eh?

29 Likes

No one has to worry about this monument being forced upon them.

Says the politician forcing a ten commandments monument on people.

42 Likes

Who gave the sane people a day off to attend the rally?

10 Likes

This level of sanity, believe it or not, is more typical of the pastor than the congregation.

6 Likes

Sounds like a job for some sort of Religious Task Force to come in and protect the religious rights of the law-abiding satanists!!

11 Likes

So tax payer funds were used to erect a Christian memorial at a state capital? Separation of church and state is still a thing right?
Kudos to Christians quoted in the story. Can’t remember the last time a Christian sounded rational.

5 Likes

No matter what these extremists may claim, it will be a very cold day in hell before an offensive statue will be forced upon us

When opponents of monuments to 19th century traitors against the Union (AKA the U.S.A.) say this very thing I’m willing to bet he’s suddenly not so supportive of the concept.

Also, I love how the Satanic Temple keeps upping the ante against these Xtianist fools to show how serious they are in their support of the Establishment Clause. First it was sketches and drawings, then the models, then the casting, and now the roll out.

27 Likes

Hear Hear!

Though I would suggest phrasing it as traitors against the United States of America.

12 Likes

Done! Thanks.

5 Likes

There are more recent examples as there are plenty more like them, and they are the reason why I try to keep reasonable relations with left leaning Christians.

17 Likes

“Hey, Satan! I think I may have found a way for you to save a bit on your heating bill this month. And get this, it involves politicians and maybe even some lawyers! Talk about in your bailiwick.”

The “Hypocrite Republican” is one of the most common Politikemon you can find in the wild.
catch_em_all

6 Likes

“No matter what these extremists may claim, it will be a very cold day in hell before an offensive statue will be forced upon us to be permanently erected on the grounds of the Arkansas State Capitol.”

This is the babble that is the usual.
I find that those that claim to speak for “god” are usually the furthest from the actual message.
Or we can talk about cardinals, priests and young children.

11 Likes

I still shake my head that we have one set of myth believers fighting another set of myth believers, and we have to show our appreciation that one of them is not beating up the other, but steadfastly sticking to their nonsense in a passive way. Obviously that’s better than beating each other up, but is that the best we can do?

At least in this case, I know the “Satanists” are being ironic to prove a point, but the other side we are appreciating for their tolerance actually believe their myths are the singular “truth”, and they lack the ability or willingness to see things any other way. They are defending their right to put their “truth” on public property, over other people’s truth. Through this passive resistance, they are actually manipulating onlookers to think they are reasonable. Sigh.

4 Likes

Oh please oh please erect a flying spaghetti monster next!

22 Likes

Whenever I hear the likes of them I always think of this.

5 “When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites! They love to stand up and pray in the houses of worship and on the street corners, so that everyone will see them. I assure you, they have already been paid in full.
6 But when you pray, go to your room, close the door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what you do in private, will reward you.
Matthew 6:5-6

19 Likes

They’re everywhere and in most churches you can go hear them sounding rational. but many choose to hear what they want to hear.

4 Likes

Polkemon?

3 Likes

Obligatory gifs

tenor

11 Likes