Rakim and Biz Markie

[Permalink]

1 Like

The image of Biz and Rakim beat-boxing and rhyming in the hall reminds me of when I first heard beat-boxing in high school, Connecticut circa 1983: some kid got a hall pass to the bathroom and beat-boxed his whole way there and back. We could heard this beat coming down the hall, getting louder, and then fading away. . . then coming back again a few minutes later.

3 Likes
3 Likes

dope!

I got the Shanté/Biz song “The Def Fresh Crew” that is being scratched by Marley Marl on “Nobody Beats the Biz” when I bought a bootleg compilation. I bought it for the other songs, not recognizing that particular track. When I heard Shanté say that part, I was like “Oh, shit” and started cutting it like Marley. You learn so much. The cuts, though easy, sound so good but also were really creative; it’s the scratch, the sound manipulation rather than the cutting that was just so ahead of its time.

Practicing Rob Swift’s routine would be a great test of skill. I could follow along with my eye/ear, but I’d really have to buckle down to duplicate it, assuming I could.

and since Brentwood, L.I. was shouted-out in the comic:

1 Like

This is the sort of deep history that makes me love HHFT!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.