Here's a video of Young Hov (AKA Jay-Z) when the name was still applicable

Originally published at: Here's a video of Young Hov (AKA Jay-Z) when the name was still applicable | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Always loved this one. Jay-Z’s delivery is superb, but don’t skip to it just to hear the most famous guy - the whole track is a classic!

3 Likes

Love the playfulness on this track. A Jaws reference at 0:35!

“Duuuun duun, duuuuun duun/Get out the water!”

3 Likes

a classic. I wasn’t DJing at the time of its release, but ended up with a bootleg.

DJ singles were only pressed as a promotional concern, there would be one pressing of several thousand (or whatever) so that radio and club DJs would mix it into their sets (who all got it for free) and the remainder bought by second-string DJs (insert Queen Latifah calling Omar Epps “you ‘local’”) and hobbyist DJs (so-called “bedroom” DJs.)

when the normie audience quit buying the artist’s CDs and Rap City & Yo! were pumping the next wave of releases, that was it. keeping a 12" single in press after that didn’t usually happen except for super-popular club classics, and even then, probably not.

enter the free market, which supplied DJs with the club hits you could no longer buy via completely illegal bootleg presses. I bought this one – unusual in that it actually lists the artists and also has a sticker on the sleeve – so I could have “Make Room,” and I was also checking for the Ultra Mag, Rakim, and BDP tracks; “Can I Get Open” and others were unknown to me at the time of purchase. most of these type of bootlegs would only list song titles on a plain white label; no title or artist names, and a completely blank sleeve. some would even have a completely blank white label. I was introduced to the music of classic funk band Brick (of “Dazz” fame) via a white label bootleg and only several years later did I figure out the name of the band.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.