Let me clear my throat, DJ Kool

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Um, is it wrong of me to ask. . .what’s with the clowns?

I love this song.

I put this on my 10 year old’s playlist this summer (the song, not the video), and she has been listening to it non-stop.

4 Likes

a) Because they were clowning around, and

b) Biz Markie is also known as the “Clown Prince” of rap/hip-hop.

Aw, yeah, this was one hell of a blast from the past, made me smile all morning xD …

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQGJRkeIrwg

that was tight B^]

So, the name of the backing track is called The 900 Number, which is a beat 45 King released as a 12" single with a couple different rap versions. It was a part of a series of beats he released this way as live DJ tools I think for the Tuff City label. I want to say the labels all had different colors, too, so you could see at a glance which one of the series each plate was. but I didn’t know about any of that back then 'cause I was a dumb little kid. Then Ed Lover and Dr. Dre used it for Yo! MTV Raps (but I didn’t know 'cause I didn’t have cable.) So, by the time Kool used it for …Clear My Throat (along with the horns from Kool and the Gang’s Hollywood Swingin’) it was new to me.

I bought a copy or two of The 900 Number fairly recently. well, it was probably like seven years ago but the point is that it was kept in press for DJs well into the digital era, and i’d wager it still is.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.