Song Exploder, exploded

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/13/song-exploder-exploded.html

4 Likes

3 Likes

Not to keep posting about how things look like Jimmy Carter today, but that JFK drawing looks more like Jimmy Carter

2 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah, and that Havoc looks more like 50 Cent.

1 Like

I got you. . .

1 Like

very nice

1 Like

I remember those instro boot LPs. I wanna say RAM Distribution made them but I could be wrong. A lot of them were just looped sections snatched from the vocal version.

“All Rights Reserved” lol.

[BTW-- I actually have that DJ Zinc remix, randomly found it in a thrift store bin, unmarked white label, weirdly I had been looking for it online about a month earlier but all copies were in the UK and pricey.]

1 Like

I remember there being several to choose from but I only got The Infamous one. and I already had the beats from the official releases of the singles. so it was cool to just get the drums for temp rising.
I want to say there was a Midnight Marauders one and probably some others. I loved the bootleg scene, providing all the rare stuff the labels wouldn’t put out or super rare and expensive stuff so you could actually get a copy to mix into your sets. I’ve got a ton of bootleg funk/jazz. fuck paying $$$ for a copy of Bob James One just to have Nautilus, and then sourcing a double. I’ve got a grip of 90s hip hop anthem comps I can do a whole set with by themselves. it might literally have cost $1000 to buy each single (although no inst/acca on the boots but it doesn’t really matter for anthems)

I have an instrumental copy of the first Cypress Hill lp, but from a different maker. and Rawkus did it smart and had official lp instrumental releases, I got Black on Both Sides and Internal Affairs that way, plus the vocal releases, too. so many great beats on those.
they made a lot of money off of me instead of losing it to the bootleggers!

1 Like

Yeah, good points all. The whole “originals only, no boots or reissues” idea was ridiculous, even Havoc admits he used a copy of Vinyl Dogs for the drums on “Shook Ones pt.2”, and you can see the UBB comps in the photo of Pete Rock’s basement studio on the back of Main Ingredient.

If you’re going to destroy it cutting and scratching, why use an original.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.