Rampage shooting at Planned Parenthood in Colorado

I guess that depends on perspective; that weather looks pretty great to me, and I could use some of that right now. (Without the active shooter.)

It also depends on the day. I have been there in winter and it is gorgeous - but itā€™s just a bright, sunny, but cold - day. When it is storming it can be bad. But right now everything where I am in covered in ice so, YMMV.

1 Like

And from the beeb: Planned Parenthood shooting: Suspect said ā€˜no more baby partsā€™:

Iā€™ve said it before, and Iā€™ll say it again. The fox news type a-holes who whip up the mouth frothing conservative masses bear at least some of the responsibility for this. If I stand on street corner with a megaphone in downtown L.A. yelling that ā€œThe Manā€ is keeping everyone down, and the only way to survive is to kill all cops, and an idiotic listener does exactly that, then Iā€™m getting prosecuted as an accessory.

If some right wing group edits a video to make fetal tissue donation for research seem a lot worse than it really is, then spoon feeds it to a number of conservative groups who then preach the gospel of ā€œLiberal baby killers!!!ā€, and some less than stable a-hole like this one goes out and shoots up a planned parenthood, well, hey, freedom of speech right?

19 Likes

Yeah, but you wouldnā€™t know it from the 24/7 ā€œfearfearfearā€ news cycle, and the ā€œend of timesā€ religious BS that is getting shat around (and yes, I actually do know someone who honestly believes that weā€™re living in the ā€œend timesā€, but strangely, he still bothered to reproduce, and wonā€™t give me all of his material goods. WTF? How could you possibly need those if Jesus will be here any day now?)

3 Likes

Hey, people still need to be comfortable somehow, even when theyā€™ve got their head wedged up their end times.

5 Likes

Heh, even my suggestion that he do exactly what Jesus said, and sell all of his goods to donate to the poor seemed to fall on deaf earsā€¦ I mean if you KNOW that the world is ending, why would you possibly need anything more than what is needed for maintenance?

But of course, though people have been preaching the ā€œend timesā€ bit for thousands of years, and we have yet to wellā€¦ end, you think people would finally wise up to the scam. Itā€™s too bad that I have a shred of ethics or Iā€™d be fleecing the masses with the oldest (yet proven) tricks in the book.

5 Likes

Planned Parenthood suspect mentioned ā€˜no more baby parts,ā€™ official says

This increasingly looks like some of the Republicans who spread lies about Planned Parenthood have blood on their hands.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/09/27/3706123/carly-fiorina-defends-abortion-comments/

The right wing continues to be a dangerous plague upon this nation and Earth.

VOTE locally, statewide and nationally. Stop the plague.

EDIT: I now see that @Bobo beat me to it here.

8 Likes

And. This. Act. Was. Designed. To. Terrorise. The. People. Who. Work. And. Support. Planned. Parenthood.

I figured you might need that spelled out for you in easy to digest pieces.

20 Likes

All lives matter! Stop this massacre of innocents!

Seriously, fuck these guys and their self righteous violence.

7 Likes

I agree. Iā€™m just going to say what everyone else is thinking:

We must stop any further influx of these white Christian men into our country.

12 Likes

You re-asserting it to be the case does not make it easier to digest, nor more clear to understand. Why do you assume that the guy didnā€™t want to simply stop them from doing what they are doing, regardless of how they felt? Isnā€™t that more probable?

And why should this distinction matter? How does it make more sense to consider this an emotional problem than a tactical one? I explained that I become suspicious when people insist that an event needs to be framed in a certain context, and you are not offering any more involved explanation.

What is with the odd punctuation?

1 Like

So your thought is that he went in there, shooting people, just to stop them from doing what they were doing for that short period. No goal whatsoever beyond that moment, no hope or desire to impact planned parenthood as a whole.

ā€œNo more baby partsā€ was clearly followed by ā€œā€¦until Iā€™m gone, then you can proceed again as though nothing has happenedā€.

14 Likes

Why are you saying that I think this? I never said anything of the kind. I am not jumping to any conclusions.

But I think that it is odd that when I ask somebody why it should be labelled ā€œterrorismā€, and what difference that makes, that people simply repeat it, or resort to asking me to put forth an alternate framing. Somebody said it should be seen that way, and I asked why. And you donā€™t seem to be offering a cogent explanation for doing so.

I am not the one who was insisting that people should adopt a specific (and rhetorically loaded) frame of reference for thinking about the event. I asked for an explanation of why I should. Making the discussion into being about me does not explain this. If the reasoning is so obvious, then it should be easy to discuss without dancing around the issue.

Unfortunately, they are coming from INSIDE THE COUNTRY!!!

17 Likes

If a listener does ā€œexactly that,ā€ there wonā€™t be anyone to arrest you.

4 Likes

The reason it is terrorism is because it causes rational people/doctors/nurses to install bullet resistant glass, not reveal where they work, and have the opportunity to bolt past protesters who are complaining violently about something legal for what, half a century?

Criminal: check.
Terrorist: check.

Pick your terminology, they are equally as accurate in this case.

15 Likes

Could you provide a few examples of this, that you are referring to? In the US? because we donā€™t arrest people for saying that other people should be killed.

Help them plan, give them guns, surely that is material accessory, but bad ideas are not illegal here. Sharing them from your soapbox is not against the law.

Last time I checked the ones encouraging the murder of abortion providers were too busy endorsing presidential candidates to get arrested for their free speech.

Can do!

The question you are asking was in the news in the last few years. One person got so bullied he killed himself. The criminal charge against the bully was negligent homocide, if I am recalling the right case.

Gary Ralph Ilmanen
General Practice Lawyer
Perris, CA
Posted on Apr 6, 2014
Yes, depending on the state you are in, and the victim is in. It could be more than manslaughter. You may wish to consult with a MO criminal defense attorney on this.

I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.

Why would I play semantics with you over my choice of response to someone elses violence.

Who are these ā€˜peopleā€™ who ā€œsimply repeat it or as you to put forth an alternate framig?ā€. Are any of them online and could you provide a link so weā€™re not boxing with strawmwmen?

Your labeling of other people as 'odd; is a bit provocative. Are you being potentially provocative in this way, towards a goal? Tell me of that goal,please, without involving me as your interlocutoer lead along a Socratic path to wisdom, because I am not a student and you are not a Socrates. We can agree on that.

What is your point?

4 Likes

Sure, I donā€™t deny that that is awful. I grew up thinking of society as being a sort of anomie of information warfare between conflicting ideologies, so this sort of thing seems not unexpected. Itā€™s obviously preferable to not need to fight to survive and help people as one feels one should, although it often cannot be helped.

I think that what bothers me about the term ā€œterrorismā€ is that it robs the victims of agency, and I have trouble understanding why anyone who is sympathetic would choose to do that. It is tragic if somebody attacks you, but you donā€™t have any control over that. But when a crime is an emotion, a feeling such as ā€œterrorā€, people are giving up their ability to choose how to respond. It goes against modern health understanding to insist that others are reflexively responsible for how one feels and responds to a situation. Having the act defined in terms of your response is bad law, and encourages peopleā€™s feelings of helplessness. Which is exactly the sort of ā€œhelpā€ that people who are under attack donā€™t need. If people are trying to kill you, what you need most are options.