Real talk on what it's like to survive cancer

[Permalink]

1 Like

I have cancer. I was diagnosed on April 2, 2013. I hope to God I can make 12 years or better, but as with her in the article, the odds are against me. I have a bad kind of cancer. The fear is always with you. But thereā€™s hope too. We live in a pretty cool time, and I know cancer is beatable, will someday be curable for good. Maybe someday soon. I hope.

2 Likes

But thereā€™s hope too.

IMO, that a healthy attitude if you can muster it. Itā€™s well known that stress (and certain levels of constant pessimism) can make people sicker. Also, even if something is ā€œinevitableā€ Iā€™d rather have a better outlook on the way.

Anecdotally, Iā€™m friends with an older surfer who beat cancer (been in remission a very long time) and responded remarkably to chemo. Then again, he has the determination of a tank rolling through battle and a positive outlook with a good sense of humor to boot. On the other hand, Iā€™ve seen far less kill stressed out, perpetual pessimists.

I wish you better health in the future.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.