Red Pill, Blue Pill: if Dr Seuss wrote about Men's Rights Advocates

I don’t disagree, and I think that a lot of this happens because of poor communication, immaturity, lack of experience with relationships and so on. Most of us grow from these experiences and figure out how to handle ourselves better. Some of us wallow in this kind of experience and get stuck feeling sorry for ourselves. Then a handful of people embrace this as the only possible interaction between men and women and decide that they ought to be manipulative assholes themselves because that is what people of the opposite sex deserve. When I hear someone use the term “friendzone” my mind jumps immediately to the latter (though I’m willing to be wrong).

7 Likes

Maybe i was not clear? I completely agreed with the point made. And tried to say you can find this shift in perception more often than people think. Also in everyday behaviour.
And so not in the least interested in having it explained by a white male. Although, it really depends on who he is, is it ok to watch?

I have only ever heard dudes complaining of this mythical “friendzone”.
And every woman I know has had one of their closest male friends suddenly proclaim feelings of love, thus ending the friendship forever. And that feeling of betrayal is like none other.

So yes, while both genders can do it, and both genders can be jerks, this is a gendered issue. Just ask the dudes that complain about being “friendzoned”.

OH GOD YES IT IS THE BEST! WATCH IT NOW!
Man, I can’t talk in all caps if I want to! let me comment dammit!

2 Likes

Ok, watched it above the cooking pans :wink: Agreed, he brings a serious issue humorous and understandable.
Thanks for the push to watch. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Its such a good bit. I use it all the time. :smile:

Also the .gifs are great!

10 Likes

I couldn’t really understand where you were going in that post, but now that you’ve written a few more it makes more sense to me. Glad you liked the Louis CK video! He’s definitely worth watching.

4 Likes

Know who keeps friendzoning me?

My cats.

I’m all like, "you’re my best friends and I luuurve you!!’

And they’re like, " riiiiiight. More tuna plz?"

11 Likes

This does seem a bit odd - he claims that there is no greater threat to women than men. According to the statistics, it’s… heart disease, just like for men. Homicide is #35, about a third of that for suicide (although like for men, it does get relatively a lot higher when you’re young and healthier). Of those, just over a third are killed by intimate partners. It’s really bad, but hardly at the point of being statistically likely that going out with a man will put a woman’s life in danger. White females are remarkably safe from this risk. Homicide is nearly four times as bad for men, but we don’t lose our minds every time we see another guy (in our case, it’s #26 - still not that high). Calling it the worst fear makes sense though, as possibly fatal violence from men is not an insignificant concern.

1 Like

Thanks, maybe I should watch more, I can really use some more humor in my live.

3 Likes

friendzoned is a HUGE honour, servantzoned is the normal categorisation

3 Likes

Definitely better than when your cat Swagwayzones you.

2 Likes

The fucking movies say it works! They told us not to play those violent videogames but then they encouraged us to read Romeo and Juliet - as a love story mind you, rather than as a tale of how the hatred between two houses brought them both to ruin. I think everyone can be forgiven for making this mistake as a teenager, and into their early twenties even.

Try four-year-olds. I’ve really been put on the bench.

Well, he is a comedian doing a comedy bit. And there are different statistics for different ages. If you did a survey of people actively dating I bet you’d find heart disease was less of a problem than it is in general cause-of-death statistics. But if you want to see a colleague of Louis CK addressing this very issue, Norm MacDonald has a very informative talk about how your heart can attack and kill you. (Can’t find a goddamned link)

6 Likes

And ironically all of us cat stewards have, by default, been GroomOfTheStoolZoned.

2 Likes

But see… we don’t date heart disease do we?
If we did, I could get your point, but we don’t.

1 Like

It seems to be a term invented by PUAs (and I wouldn’t use it myself for that reason except to indicate that the “friendzoned” person is being unfair), but the actual phenomenon of feeling like you’re being strung along by someone who knows what you want and is holding out on you (even though they may have quite a different idea of the relationship) seems to be common for men and women.

I really feel like we could work this into a lyric for a yet unnamed hair band ballad.

2 Likes

I am going to disagree, and restate my thesis.

I know you like to minimize and make things “equal opportunity miserable” - but again, I restate, in my 40 something years on this planet, I have never heard a woman complain about being “friendzoned” and have only heard women complain about male friends suddenly springing “love” on them who then complain “why won’t you date/sleep with me, I’ve been such a good friend to you”. (One dude asked me when it was going to be “his turn”. “It” being me apparently, a ride, dudes can line up for in sequence!)

Stringing along is something else. There is a maliciousness there where the other party knows the affection is there, and plays with it. It is mean, and yes, totally happens to both genders. But that is not friendzoning. (It is what MRA/PUAs call friendzoning tho, so I can see how you’d be confused).

4 Likes

###Sung to the tune of Every Rose Has Its Thorn

Eeevery zone has its friend
Just like, every friend has its end
Just like every cowboy gets zoned in the end
Every, zone, has its friend

3 Likes

our family cat ages ago was a small cute thing. and used about 80 % of my bed.

4 Likes