Red Pill, Blue Pill: if Dr Seuss wrote about Men's Rights Advocates

Okay, here’s the crux of it I think. As I said, it’s been 18 years since my last “first date” that I may have missed this wrinkle. It was a perfectly disarming, funny, specific word if used with one’s male friends. If it’s used as a direct challenge, I could see it could become pretty caustic.

Thanks everyone. So nice when a discussion can illuminate on a point like this. That said, I hate when people come along and fuck up words that I like. I guess I’ll have to go to my preferred predecessor to this word, “Heisman”, as in “she gave me the Heisman.”

2 Likes

PS the thread is catwinned

6 Likes

I don’t think I’d want to be with someone who thinks of love as a betrayal!

I think that love and friendship largely overlap. People who are friends first seem to actually know each other better than those who aren’t. I don’t understand why love would need to invalidate friendship, either. YCHUOMMV

Yeah, no, not what I said, but ok.

2 Likes

So, people who proclaim love should not be close to you? Then how would they know you that well? You said that when people are close friends, that them expressing their love is a betrayal. Wouldn’t this seem more credible than coming from a stranger who couldn’t know you that well? How/why does this end the friendship? This certainly makes it sound like friendship and love don’t overlap.

Anybody feel like watching When Harry met Sally?

7 Likes

Romantic love =/= platonic love.

Hard to be friends with someone who wants to be in a romantic relationship with you if you don’t want one with them.

1 Like

I guess I’ve never believed them to be very distinct categories. But if love is deeper and more involved, it would seem natural to assume that it would more likely develop from friendship than appear from nowhere. But for me, they have often been the same, or overlapped.

Bingo.

And if the object of your affection didn’t feel the same way? Didn’t want something “deeper”? Then what?

He says that heart disease is statistically man’s worst enemy. Statistically, it’s also woman’s worst enemy. If you need an actual person, women are their own worst enemy.

My point is not that it isn’t a problem, because clearly it is. My point is that murderous violence by men against women is seen as something almost typical, when that is far from the case. Louis CK and Scott Adams can speak for themselves if they think that women aren’t safe around them.

You’re right, it isn’t. There’s definitely an entitlement issue where men can feel that it’s their “turn”. I think having more equality where both genders get to express interest and there’s more open discussion about social etiquette (how to express interest in an honest and respectful way, how to accept/reject and how to respond to rejection gracefully) might help to make things clearer and separate the assholes from the socially inept.

1 Like

Then they are content to have more superficial relationships, I guess? That’s the thing, I speak only for myself, so you’d have to ask them.

You think the only danger to women is the ultimate of being killed?

Take a look at the statistics for physical abuse and sexual assault.

Hands up, any woman on this thread who has NEVER been physically or sexually assaulted by a male partner…

9 Likes

Well, that just made me depressed

5 Likes

What is with that FACE? I think you can meme that and reap wild rewards and tons of tuna for that little kitteh!

2 Likes

Dig up his show Louis, if you can. The first two seasons are pretty genius.

6 Likes

That’s what the meme can be!!!

1 Like

Wait… so a friendship that doesn’t progress to something romantic is “superficial”?

Dude, I am worried you are friendzoning yourself left and right…

7 Likes

I first heard it in an early episode of Scrubs, where Eliot (the lead female character) came on to JD (the male lead), and a countdown began indicating that if they didn’t have sex by the time it reached zero it was never going to happen because it’d effect their friendship. Naturally they miss a number of chances and eventually JD is relegated to ‘the friendzone’ but he doesn’t resent Eliot or let it come between them as friends.

Of course, they go on to date off and on and eventually marry, because it’s an American sitcom.

1 Like

Didn’t I say that I was guessing, to provide an obvious answer to your question?

You seem to be making this out to be a value judgement. But, by definition, if something is not deeper, it is more superficial. Is this not so?

What interests me is: How does anybody would arrive at what you call “romantic” without having progressed through friendship first? This is probably the third or fourth time I have tried rephrasing the question.

FWIW I don’t dispute that people who approach either friendship or love from a position of entitlement are being needy infantile jerks.

But being autistic and yet endlessly fascinated by people, I am still always amazed by how and why people happen to end up together. It seems almost deliberately mysterious, like some weird set of rituals which nobody is supposed to truly understand.

1 Like

It is not so.

But I have no desire to get into yet another frakking semantic conversation, so I’m out.

1 Like