Revealed for the first time: the seer stone that translated the Book of Mormon

Yes. I thank you’re right. Forgot Jaspers can be that color.

And then to top it all off, once the seer stones had translated the golden plates into English, the result sounded remarkably like an uneducated farmer from upstate New York trying to mimic the “King’s English” of the Authorized Version without having the linguistic skill necessary to pull it off.

Very odd.

19 Likes

Except when that belief impinges on the freedoms of others. I believe in tolerance, but I have no tolerance for the intolerant.

5 Likes

At least they make flatware. What’s LDS’s excuse?

1 Like

They were too busy being successful as a religion to have a backup plan.

3 Likes

I grew up in a family of rockhounds…I’m always surprised at how much I have retained.

1 Like

F*cking seer stones. How do they work?

11 Likes

My kid is chortling away at this episode at this very moment. Truly, The Lord works in mysterious ways.

2 Likes

If you’re willing to buy dowsers, you’re willing to buy the rest!

Also, the spouse states-

NOT the Urim and Thumim
this was the one he put in his hat

3 Likes

Atheist here and to me all the religious stories are kooky. But I also would like to say that of the religious people I have encountered, LDS seem to be the nicest and most generous of the lot. I’m sure there’s probably stories of LDS members being as shitty as the rest but that’s not my personal experience.

4 Likes

There’s two things I can’t stand: People who are intolerant of other people’s cultures, and the Dutch.

4 Likes

I remember being surprised that there were people who wanted the Harry Potter series of books banned because they described magic, and magic is real and evil.

This puts that idea in perspective. It must be difficult to discern between truth and fiction when you’re taught to believe something that sounds exactly like fiction.

15 Likes

Pretty disappointing that it didn’t turn out to be a bezoar.

6 Likes

I’ve known some nice Mormons, but the fact that their church sponsored CA’s Prop 8 (banning gay marriage) really cheesed me off.

11 Likes

actually it apparently sounded a lot like an unpublished work of fiction by a former minister from Ohio, Solomon Spaulding. Also all of the witnesses who ‘claimed’ to have seen the ‘golden plates’ were all later excommunicated from the Mormon church… also later claimed that they didn’t see the plates with their worldly, fleshy eyes, but with the eyes of faith… so, yeah, I’m kind of surprised the rock actually exists.

10 Likes

I think all the backbiting, gossiping, and organizing against human rights occurs behind the scenes, not to your face.

There’s also “Lying for the Lord”, of course.

3 Likes

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that you’re white?

3 Likes

That’s actually hitting the nail right on the head.

Ah, dammit. Well, I’m glad somebody posted it.

Every time I read something I didn’t know about the Mormons, that new bit of information, all on its own, is enough to make me think, “People actually believe this?”

5 Likes