Revealed for the first time: the seer stone that translated the Book of Mormon

Give the religion a thousand years to age and it will seem equally credible to all other religions.

2 Likes

Aren’t they going out on a limb revealing a picture? Seems to me keeping something hidden is part of the mystery of a religion. Showing it to everyone risks people saying “But it’s just a damn rock.”

Nonono. Not damned rock, a holy rock. Different, see?

6 Likes

OMG, that video. Good people are born “white and delightsome”, but the blacks are a curse for those who didn’t fight valiantly for Elohem. The good white Indians were all killed off by the evil dark skinned ones. F’n’A I didn’t realize Mormonism was so racist! That is really messed up.

6 Likes

To some of us, it already does.

My magic rock, which is also invisible and intangible, protects me from being savaged by rogue elephants. I’ve had it for 11 years, for as long as I’ve lived in Wisconsin, and I have yet to be savaged by an elephant. I’m considering starting a religion based on this fact.

7 Likes

They’re not racist. They just had instructions from God about no black members of clergy. Who reversed His Holy Policy in 1978. But did not apologize for it. Because God.

10 Likes

A chance to use a (paraphrased) Voltaire quote that actually comes from Voltaire (unlike that “disagree with what you say” thing):

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

14 Likes

And you naysayers thought it wasn’t real!!

2 Likes

will this new religion include the possibility of older gentlemen who get in on the ground floor being able to bang as many 18 year old ‘spiritual wives’ as possible? Because I might be interested.

1 Like

Yes and no. What older religions have going for them is that they had the benefit of the stories being passed down orally for generations, working the wrinkles out, and then often generations more of reworking the stories once they were written. They could retroactively insert elements, remove troublesome elements, invent entire new bits and generally edit everything for maximum believability, internal consistency and emotional punch. Plus there’s enough linguistic distance that people can argue - and believe whatever they want - about what the original meanings were, what was metaphor, parable, joke… In this case, it was written soon enough after the fact that all the damning details of an awkward con are there - all the screw-ups and attempts to recover, all the “miracles” that are just someone saying that a miracle occurred and it was too bad you didn’t see it, all the “factual” assertions that sounded like convincing bits of history if you were an ignorant 19th century American but today not only don’t function as supporting evidence but require enormous suspension of disbelief to accept on any level, etc.
It’s like having a version of the Bible that goes something like, “And Jesus did hold but one ball in his bare hands, and he did point and say, ‘Look yonder!’ and the multitude did look but beheld nothing, but when they cast their gazes back upon Jesus, he held not one ball but three in his hands, and they marveled at this miracle.”

9 Likes

Keep in mind that video is a little bit biased. It’s made by some super-conservative evangelicals.

2 Likes

oh, good to know. i thought it was produced by the mormons. any idea if those two statements that freaked me out are actually part of the mormon belief system? i look it up later, when i have some time, just wondering if you or anyone else knows off the top of your head.

1 Like

This is exactly so. I’m an exmo, and my wife is still TBM.

It is incredible to me, looking back, how much I went along with really wild shit in the name of religion. And what bugs me still is that I knew it was crazy in places, but it took the whole thing catastrophically tumbling down with one doctrinal problem for me to see the dozens on the way there.

I could have left sooner and been happier!

So much more I could talk about. Well said sir.

3 Likes

The Church has been doing a lot of this lately.

They have a very clear pattern of lying to the membership about doctrinal evolution (not the doctrine of evolution), early church history, reasoning for policies, and items they do or do not possess.

The Mark Hoffman fiasco really burned them.

I think the leadership are trying, to a degree, to out the Church’s minimally dirty laundry to bolster the faith of the righteous.

“See? Yeah we lied about Smith for 150 years, but that was 150 years ago! We’re over it now so you should be too!”

EDIT: Over it!

5 Likes

I’ll field this. Sorry for all the posts.

“OMG, that video. Good people are born “white and delightsome”, but the blacks are a curse for those who didn’t fight valiantly for Elohem. The good white Indians were all killed off by the evil dark skinned ones. F’n’A I didn’t realize Mormonism was so racist! That is really messed up.”

Ok. White and delightsome. The Church pushed the idea that Native Americans have darker skin because their Isrealite ancestors that came over to the Americas with Lehi were unrighteous, and the Lord turned their skins darker to mark them. The extension of this to all nations and whatever I think is linked to the doctrine of the Curse of Ham.

The stuff about blacks in particular has been heavily downplayed since the 1978 statement about Blacks and the Priesthood. But I do remember the Native American dark skin theory getting a lot of air time in meetings up through the 90’s at least.

Didn’t fight valiantly for Elohim. “El” is Hebrew for “God”, and the “him” on the end makes it plural. Jews still regard this word as a singular form for God, but Mormons do not. Elohim is the “intelligences” that, with his heavenly consort that Mormons don’t talk about, created all of the spirits of the humans on this planet and many others. One of those spirits was Jesus, and one of them was Adam, and one of them was you. Jesus was called by Elohim, “The Father”, to create the world (with the help of Michael the Archangel who later becomes Adam) and later serve out the atonement.

Another spirit child, Lucifer doesn’t like the Jesus deal. He whines, gets one third of everyone in heaven on his side, and then Elohim just throws them all the fuck out. Those are the devil and his servants. They get to spend eternity after judgement in Outer Darkness.

You are one of the righteous two thirds, and that’s why you’re here today. Also you were probably especially valiant in that war in heaven, and that’s why you were held in reserve for these Latter Days.

Yes, at the end of the Book of Mormon, the dark Lamanites win and kill all of of the white Nephites except one (Mormon), and that’s how we got the book.

Hope this wasn’t shit. Let me know if you want more.

10 Likes

Kathleen Madigan did a stand-up bit about Mormons where one of the punchlines was, “Yeah, but we made up our shit a long time ago”

Yes it’s true. The doctrine and the church actually did say that dark skinned people were cursed for the sins of their ancestors.

They reversed it in 1978, under immense external pressure, and have been trying to expunge any mention of their in-built racism ministry-of-truth-style.

Remember, to a Mormon, ignorance is strength, for the ignorant don’t know better than not to question the absurd and instead accept it, because they’re also taught from birth that it’s a sin to think critically.

3 Likes

I prefer what Gang of Four said - “Save me from the people who would save me from myself”.

1 Like

wow. thanks for the detailed answer. that was very helpful!

1 Like

For the right donation, anything is possible! Cash only, please.

(Actually, I’m polyamorous, so my real answer, should I ever go completely insane and actually fancy to forge yet another religion that we don’t really need, would be “as long as everyone in the relationship is agreeable [consenting, legally able to consent, etc.] to your arrangement, then sure, why not?”)