Ronin: freeware ninja murder sim

[Permalink]

The visuals immediately had me thinking ā€œhmm, this looks an awful lot like Gunpoint.ā€

Turns out the maker of Gunpoint heard about this game too, and he loves it: Itā€™s Time I Did Something About This ā€˜Gunpoint Ripoffā€™

1 Like

This reminds me of those great Xiao Xiao movies.

Tomasz Wacławekā€™s Windows-only opus really shines. You must simply play it, you mustā€¦

Download and install a precompiled binary package
There are currently no official prebuilt Wine packages for Mac. Hopefully someone will volunteer to maintain a release so they will be added (see the Wine download page for most up-to-date links and additional information).
3rd Party Apps
There are some 3rd party Apps that have pre-built binaries. These are NOT supported by winehq.orgā€¦ You must get support from their creators. Some common ones are that are known to use standard Wine source are Wineskin, WineBottler, and PlayOnMac. All 3rd party apps are listed on the Third Party Apps page
Compile Wine
It is strongly recommended that one use either Homebrew, MacPorts, or Fink to install WINE on OSX. Both support the current releases of OSX ā€“ Mountain Lion (10.8.x). See Building Wine on MacOSX See building Wine from scratch

ā€¦damn.

1 Like

Exactly.

I hate to be that guy but the words ninja and ronin are not compatible when referring to the same person.

In as much as the ninja ever actually existed and werenā€™t just a romanticised fiction that arose mostly from the Bunraku theatre movement, there would be nothing theoretically preventing a ronin (masterless samurai) from retraining as a ninja in order to find mercenary work; in fact, Iā€™m pretty sure that a life time of military training would come in very handy if you were marketing yourself as a freelance assassin.

If you mean that a ronin would still be bound by the samurai concept of bushido and would be duty bound to fight honourably, Iā€™m afraid thatā€™s a fiction too. Yes, there was a great deal of emphasis on confucian ideas of social order (hence a samurai being bound to a shogun for service, because the shogun was above him in the natural order and therefore a good confucianist would always follow the orders of their betters) but the idea of bushido as we know it today is mostly an invention of a man called Inazo Nitobe, writing in the early twentieth century. Even samurai with masters were frequently used for political killings, and there would be literally nothing stopping a ronin from finding work as a paid assassin, which is where the notion of ninja as they exist today comes from.

Consider yourself out-ā€œthat guyā€-ed.

Oddly enough in the 17 years Iā€™ve lived in Japan and the history Iā€™ve read in Japanese, I did learn those points yet I still stand behind my original comment. As much as the ninja ever actually existed they were hereditary clan based groups and not receptive to outsiders. Iā€™d cite my sources but my books are all back in my house in Tokyo and Iā€™m out at the family place for O Bon right now.

1 Like

Sorry, I knew what you meant but couldnā€™t resist the opportunity for a facetiously smug pop.

You donā€™t think that ninja are mostly the product of myth and legend more than an actual legitimate movement? Any history Iā€™ve read about them that mentions them at all (before their appearance in bunraku) is usually unsourced and unreliable, to put it nicely. Iā€™ve always assumed it was much the same as the machi yakko to yakuza ā€œlineageā€; sure, you can make connections to the pregenitor groups at a stretch, but in reality the latter-day groups formed fairly separately to the organisations they say were there predecessors, and overblow their claims so as to give themselves historical legitimacy.

Have you got any suggested reads? Iā€™m not being facetious at all now, Iā€™d be genuinely interested to read something academic about the subject, in English or Japaneseā€¦

//edit: Going way off-topic now in a thread about a light-hearted video game. Please PM me though if you have any suggestionsā€¦

Realistically the history of Japan pretty much up to Meiji is somewhat hazy when dealing with anything outside govt & prominent families. That pus the fact that there was reason enough at the time to deliberately record as little as possible about them due to the very nature of their supposed reason for existence. That said, there are credible Japanese authors who have written on what is recorded and so it seems to me that there is indeed something beyond myth and legend

As for suggested reads, to be honest I have no memory of titles or authors as I read up on that about a decade ago. I canā€™t even promise Iā€™ll remember to go through my book storage when I get back to Tokyo next but if I remember Iā€™ll send you something.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.