Rules for Regulars

Imperial. Empirical taxes would be… more measurable?

3 Likes

After some more thought, I guess I no longer care if I’m a regular here. Way too many topics that I won’t read, don’t want to wade through the manufactured outrage and have grown reluctant to say anything into obvious echo chambers. The benefits of regularness aren’t worth the price of admission for me.

1 Like

i’ve been reading over this thread once again, it’s probably the 20th time i’ve read through it in the last week. i’ve looked at the stats page now a dozen times and re-ordered them based on every metric across the top. i don’t know that i have much to add to what’s already here but i’m going to take a stab at making a few observations.

–the only time i ever gamed the system was when i realized that there was such a thing as a regular badge and i made a concerted effort, almost a marathon, to get through every single thread that had been created within the previous month. after i got through that i made a point of taking a look at every thread that comes up each day. those which have value to me i read carefully, the others i scroll through while scanning just to get the flavor of it. i read quickly with a high rate of retention so that really isn’t a big deal. even when i was off for a week when i had a knee replacement last summer it took very little effort to catch back up and i never lost the status.

–i don’t give nearly as many likes as most regulars. i’ve been consciously trying to give more since i noticed that last week but i find that very hard for some reason.

–there seems to be some problems in this thread with defining the distortions or unfairness some folks see in the system, it reminds me of that definition of obscenity–i can’t define it but i know it when i see it.

–i like the community here, there are some folks who are maddening, there are some who are immediately lovable, there are others who are very much acquired tastes but it all hangs together somehow.

19 Likes

Anyone care to give nominations for Maddening, Immediately Lovable, and Acquired Taste? A la high school Most Likely to Succeed?

I’ll give a shot. Respectively, @khepra, @japhroaig, @enso. heh

16 Likes

Maddening: @popobawa4u, Immediately lovable: @OtherMichael, acquired taste: @Falcor

12 Likes

Most Likely to Succeed?

That’s @chgoliz

Who is Most Fetching?

Eta: Maddening, it has to be @OtherMichael with all his rules

11 Likes

21 Likes

in some ways @popobawa4u fits the bill for both maddening AND acquired taste.

13 Likes

I’ve been heard to tell Popo that they’re an odd duck, but I’m glad they’re around.

10 Likes

You didn’t say “sir” - 6 demerits.

And you have to eat at the brogrammer’s table all week.

12 Likes

And immediately loveable.

9 Likes

Commenters are an acquired taste as well, believe me. BURP!

27 Likes

Ooh like a BB slam book? Sounds rad!

1 Like

i think i’ll stick to acquired taste to describe my own experiences :wink:

2 Likes

Maddening: @Mister44 (mostly just in gun threads, though)
Immediately lovable: @chgoliz (Although my first instinct is still always to parse her name as C. H. Goliz)
Acquired Taste: @Melizmatic (Had to get used to all of the GIFs)

14 Likes

Although I typically prefer to think of myself as a slow burn.

My turn:

Maddening:
No one, yet.
My threshold is pretty damn high due to my time in the trenches on previous sites.

Immediately Loveable:
@japhroaig
(Self-explanatory.)

Acquired Taste:
@tropo
It took us a while to get comfortable with each others’ style of communicating; but once we did, he became one of my favorite members to engage.

10 Likes

okay, i brought it up, i might as well chime in at this point

maddening: for the most part @popobawa4u, especially since the most truly maddening types in the gun, racism, and feminism threads keep being suspended until ca. 2219.

immediately lovable: @chgoliz, @milliefink, and @crenquis

acquired taste: @popobawa4u and @Mister44

11 Likes

I’m mostly amused that this thread has spontaneously turned into a forum game.

20 Likes

And all along I’ve been thinking f/m/k. Does that make me a bad person? I think it makes me a bad person.

Loveable: @Donald_Petersen
Acquired taste: @Mister44 the late-but-hopefully-not-too-late @kupfernigk
Maddening: the usual suspects - @khepra Popo assorted trolls

6 Likes

We’re … not going there, are we??? (she asks timidly, afraid to hear the answer)

:astonished::scream::flushed:

8 Likes