Rules for Regulars

The whole point of “regular”, is that they are literally a regular. They do these things regularly. Hitting a magical number once, then walking away for six months is the exact opposite of that, but would be allowed under your proposal. That’s a non-starter.

In the same way that highly controversial topics are clearly different beasts, so are chat topics. By that I mean any topic which generates hundreds of “replies” in a day, or some super high number. There are plenty of games category topics that are perfectly valid discussions.

It strikes me that this is a safety issue as I’ve noted before about motorcycles, but is also true in the context of discussion:

Different speeds are themselves fine. I am not advocating for the end of chat topics. It’s the mixing of the different speeds of discussion that’s the root of the problem…

4 Likes

Why is reading posts prioritized over replying to posts?

12 Likes

I had in mind something like “m posts read in the last n months”.

4 Likes

Because listening is more important than talking, e.g. Because Reading is Fundamental

To the extent that Discourse can help people learn to be better listeners and better readers – not just more talkative – we are succeeding.

Oh, @MarkDow you were proposing a cap on the upper limit of reading. That’s sensible, sorry I misunderstood what you were proposing.

9 Likes

I’ll check out that blog post this evening, you always make cogent points. I am more of an equal exchange of high quality ideas guy though.

Fwiw :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So it’s character building. Is that the only reason?

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t read what you wrote so I’m just going to type this instead.

24 Likes

Hmm. How about reading [insert percentage] of the posts in [time period] in topics that the person has read in that time period? That would allow people like me, who avoid the Games threads, to not have that avoidance count against us, but still have it counted towards those who do participate in those threads (and completely excludes the “lounge” posts for those who don’t have access to then).

And, since there’s a minimum number of threads you have to open in that same time period to get Regular status, you can’t exploit it just by reading all of the posts in a few threads. Then it just becomes a matter of tweaking the numbers to everyone’s satisfaction.

4 Likes

Sorry to give @codinghorror a like at your expense, but damn, that was funny. :laughing:

14 Likes

Kind interaction between community members is a “metric” worth considering.

11 Likes

How would you measure that, though? Likes received? Ratio of posts to flags received? % of replies replied to?

Computers are good at measuring quantitative things like “% of total messages read.” They’re not so good at qualitative things like “kind interaction.”

8 Likes

Why try to measure it?

Yeah, I have a difference of opinion, but that was pretty damn funny.

(British accent)Cheers, ya limey bastard!

8 Likes

If you want it to be a metric it must be measurable.

8 Likes

Definition of metric:

2: a standard of measurement <no metric exists that can be applied directly to happiness — Scientific Monthly>

3 Likes

Page rank attempts to solve this exact problem. And it’s good enough that it kinda works.

There are many ways to measure on many axis. The damn phds at my work won’t shut up about it.

5 Likes

Make it smart.

Why? Do regulars get cookies?

I’m more troubled by my 8 Day Read Time. I love goofing off here as much as the next worker bee, but I do like to flatter myself that I have some worth ethic :innocent:

ETA: Okay, a quick back of the envelope calculation shows I average about eleven minutes a day reading BB. Though a bit of a relief, I know that’s not right. While my usual pattern is to participate for a year or two and then lurk for two or three, I don’t stop reading.

Thought forming…I only log in when have something to post, then I log out and nuke the cookies from orbit. Shit, I’ve averaged eleven minutes a day posting for the past three years! I don’t even want to know my real read time. I have a problem…

10 Likes

I thought you might use it for “ammo” that way. What if I countered that since the staff announced they’d be increasing output, and it’s gotten to the point that duplicate topics are common that the load has become kind of silly? I know that’s completely outside your domain, but I don’t think yours is the only argument for why reading is a “hassle”.

1 Like

I quoted it to question whether measurement was the best means available.

Is measuring reading as likely to encourage better reading as, say, lighter reading?

1 Like