Secret history of the poop emoji

[Permalink]

3 Likes

Speaking of emoji piles of pooh of pooh I made some for my upcoming holiday markets. :smile:

2 Likes

Speaking for myself, I just hate these kinds of emoji - especially the big, intrusive, animated ones you find on a few sites. When I was a kid we had to make our own emojis out of less thans and threes. The Japanese have - and regularly use - hundreds of clever faces made of characters. My personal favorite is gomen nasai: orz.

1 Like

A tree looks like a tree in Chinese (樹)

No…No it doesn’t…

1 Like
  1. I very much prefer ASCII emoticons, as they involve more creativity from the user

2. Does this mean that Chaplin’s “Tramp” wasn’t invented for the IBM ads? I think I need a lie down for a while…

1 Like

This choice of characters is really strange. In Japanese it’s painfully simple:

木 — Tree
林 — Forest; grove
森 — Forest; a wood
森林 — Forest; a wood

Used depending on word/sentence construction.

木 means wood in Chinese, never tree. Weirdly, in the linked article 木 is used, and here the Chinese for tree, 樹, is correctly used. Cringing a bit that the languages are represented as being basically pictographic, which they are not though many characters do have pictographic roots and still resemble what they stand for.

The whole premise that Chinese and Japanese characters are pictograms is faulty, anyway. While some can be traced directly back to pictorial representations of things, most characters are rather more phonetic in nature, being formed by compounding a character that sounded like the word being written (at the time, at least), and another that carried a hint as to its meaning.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.