Sheep outwits cattle grid

3 Likes

New video about a very old story… in fact, in the early 1980s sheep in New Zealand and Wales (UK) were reported to get over cattle grids in this manner - thus being a prime example of “morphic resonance” - check it out on Google, Yahoo or your search engine of choice…

1 Like

It’s not a surprise, they’re called cattle grids because they don’t stop sheep. Sheep can just jump across the grid.

1 Like

I’ve occasionally heard cattle grates called stiles, but I think technically they aren’t. Stiles seem to be distinguished primarily by being incompatible with vehicles, and thus an impediment to the handicapped and to cyclists (the latter being a design feature and not a bug). Most stiles I’ve seen involve steps, although the “squeeze stile” is an exception.

Ah, right you are. Per Richard Bennett (Ramblings over Stiles) the name derives from Old English “stigel” whose Germanic root means “to climb”. The definition appears to have expanded from just the step or ladder designs to also apply to gate-type, but all, unlike cattle grids, feature barriers to wheels as well as livestock.

1 Like

I bet stiles pre-date wheels.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.