30-50 feral hogs are now building pigloos

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/24/30-50-feral-hogs-are-now-build.html

3 Likes

So, they’re not sending their best?

21 Likes

No. They’re sending their beasts.

28 Likes

Tigers. The sort that is cool with cold winters.

15 Likes

It’s hard not to almost associate these highly adaptable, porcine interlopers with the genetically engineered pigoons from Oryx and Crake.

Maybe they are going to take over the top spot on the pyramid? We had a good run.

15 Likes

“It’s concerning that Canada isn’t doing anything about it,” said Maggie Nutter, one of 80 concerned ranchers and farmers who met recently near Sweet Grass, Mont., to discuss the potential swine invasion. “What do you do to get them to control their wild hog population?”

It’s concerning that Canada doesn’t have the same level of human need to control nature that we Americans do. What can we do to make sure that their ineffective artificial bureaucratic structure doesn’t affect my interests on this side of the artificial line that the stupid Canadian hogs don’t seem to understand exists?

10 Likes

Those would be called “mountain lions.”

12 Likes

My take? Give the homeless some guns and some pig-hunting licenses. Two birds, one stone.

4 Likes

We tried mountin’ lions; but it is a struggle to get the saddles on them.

17 Likes

Some days you ride the cougar, other days the cougar rides you.

11 Likes

What kind of experts are these? Feral pigs can interbreed with wild boars, which do well in cold climates. Plus, lots of animals make snow burrows.

5 Likes

I believe there are more tigers in captivity Texas than in the wild. We actually have had the solution all along… for Texas at least.

Tigers for South of the Mason Dixon line, Mountain Lions for the rest.

5 Likes

Hmmmm, that might actually have an impact on that Oryx problem New Mexico made for itself.

6 Likes

Just want to point out that photo is not an igloo, its a quinzhee.

12 Likes

What fantastic tails those cats have.

4 Likes

I was thinking along the lines of Panthera tigris tigris.

3 Likes

Please. We’re humans; there’s not a natural resource we can’t exploit till extinction.

Wild boar bacon anyone?

10 Likes

I’m sure that it was a complete coincidence that the local megafauna tended to go extinct the moment that humans arrived in the area.

9 Likes

Q: How did these wild pigs get out there?

A: Eurasian Wild Boar were brought to Canada in the late 1980s and through the 1990s to be raised inside a fence as livestock for meat production. Despite the many responsible wild boar ranches with high quality fences there has been and continues to be escapes and releases of these domestic animals to the wild across Canada.
http://wildpigscanada.ca/faq/

5 Likes

Possible solution: a temporary end to all other hunting licenses in affected areas-- no more deer or bear or duck seasons, one long pig season until further notice. Also: no bag limits.

You want to hunt, hunt pig.

8 Likes