30-50 feral hogs are now building pigloos

Hey, look, if God had wanted them to survive, he wouldn’t have made them taste so darn good!

5 Likes

the .223 round that the AR-15 fires is, for lack of a better word, too wimpy. You need something like .30 caliber (that’s 7.62 mm everywhere else) for penetration. Incidentally(? Ironicly?) enough, the 7.62 x 39 round is rumored to be excellent for taking down wild pigs and board. (that round is used in the SKS and dreaded AK-47 rifles)

3 Likes

Wild boar saucisson. Mmmmmm. :wink:

3 Likes

Hunting feral pigs doesn’t work to reduce their populations. In our state (Missouri, USA) the Department of Conservation is struggling to convince people NOT to shoot individual hogs, because it makes the problem worse – the hogs scatter and start populations elsewhere. The preferred method here is to capture entire hog groups (“sounders”) and eliminate. Even still, it’s very difficult.

13 Likes

FTFY
“at least nine characters”

1 Like

Salami di Cinghiale!

Actually, I have visions of Americans discovering, like Asterix and Obelix, the joy of a well roasted Sanglier.

4 Likes

Actually in many places putting a bounty on feral pigs led to an increase in their population. As people tried to ensure many of them were around, so they could keep collecting on it.

8 Likes

Yes, that’s right. In my state there is no bounty on feral hogs, for that very reason.

4 Likes

Let’s not add cannibalism to our problems. :wink:

19 Likes

12 Likes

I totally missed the “pigloo” bit in the NYT article when I read it - I was far too busy being struck by the report that feral hogs are being deliberately introduced into new areas by assholes who want to hunt them. It’s the kind of thing that happened all the time in the 19th century, but the fact that people are still doing this, knowing they’re going to destroy local ecosystems and demolish crops so they can do some hunting is just…

10 Likes
1 Like

Wait, what??

10 Likes

Amazing that the pigloo has interior lighting!

8 Likes

Punctuation matters.

15 Likes

“The pigs have also built structures made from straw, wood, and bricks,” said one reseacher. “They’ve learned brick is resistant to attacks from hyperventilating wolves.”

14 Likes

Panthera tigris altaica :wink:

3 Likes

https://siberiantiger.org/siberian-tiger-facts/

2 Likes

Impressive Kitty-cat. Weighs up to 650lbs, eats wild boar and black bears, can run 50 mph. :astonished:

8 Likes

It is just as well that they don’t eat people :smiley:

2 Likes