More than 30-50 Feral Canadian Hybrid "Super Pigs" reportedly headed towards USA

Originally published at: More than 30-50 Feral Canadian Hybrid "Super Pigs" reportedly headed towards USA | Boing Boing

10 Likes

So according to the NRA everyone above the age of 6 must have an AR-15 to protect themselves from the Canuk Porcine Horde.

12 Likes

Why did we let Michael Crichton write this season of reality again?

12 Likes

pig sniffing GIF

15 Likes

Just be thankful they aren’t Pigoons.

9 Likes

Probably less horrifying than letting Everett De Roche, Peter Brennan and Russell Mulcahy have a go.

6 Likes

I’m gonna squee squee squee, all the way home! :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

I know! So cute!

I suspect the ones heading towards the border aren’t this cute, tho! :pig:

10 Likes

Er - 99% we already have super hybrid pigs in the US, when domesticated pigs get loose and bred with wild pigs. Will they clash when they meet, or join forces?

Also, domesticated pigs will go feral with surprising quickness, growing longer hair and tusks.

They really a destructive invasive species if not controlled.

11 Likes

Build a wall?

We’ve got a lot of gun nuts here that are cuckoo for killing coyotes. I’d be happy to send them west out into real wilderness and leave them there. The gun nuts, not the coyotes.

8 Likes

Cody has been warning us! Did we listen?

21 Likes

Things get really bad when pigs get political

15 Likes

I guess this is how the apocalypse goes down… not with nukes, but with 60 to 100 feral pigs joining forces against humanity…

15 Likes

If they’re in Western Canada, they’re in the midwest & western states. Sure, maybe the ones bred above the 49th were bred with domestic stock to better weather…the weather, but it’s not like making life doable makes it pleasant, lotta piggies went south guaranteed like 44 says.

I agree with blaming Canada, for most anything at all. It’s fun. But as for these piggies, you got it coming, I got it coming, we all got it coming and now,…it’s coming.

7 Likes

as someone who has proudly boar.n the icon of “The Dark Lord Chuckles the Silly Piggy” for decades now, all i can assert on the issue of suuuper pigs is:

bwahaha...ha.

6 Likes

Sorry
…but really, this is a big deal. The answer isn’t allowing people to freely shoot them, as some suggest. Apparently just makes them disperse and more surreptitious, so harder to eliminate. The provided origin story is not what I remember. Where I live they were intended to serve a wild game market that didn’t materialize and were released and/or escaped (this was 1980s). I encountered them in the bush at the time, but they were elusive. There were (are?) No restrictions hunting or shooting them here (Alberta) but no one was/is interested. Meat is challenging to cook and there are millions of them now.
P

5 Likes

Oh it is a big deal ecologically, no doubt. But if people get their laffs out they actually hear better.

Personally, I blame Margaret Atwood.

4 Likes

Actually, I was reminded of the character Rufus Grant in Termination Shock by Neal Stephenson.

6 Likes

Came here for this comment, thank you :slight_smile:
Also, I’m not entirely sure they’re not pigoons.

2 Likes

You just need to arm the cows, cows with guns.

13 Likes