Sleeping On Strangers On The Subway

[Permalink]

:grin:

Jeez, I canā€™t wait until Move The Fuck Over, Bro hears about this.

Artist George Ferrandi has been doing something similar for a good while now. (And sheā€™s not trying to cash in on a viral photo.)

http://www.site95.org/2013/08/21/ferrandi/

I guess this is regional or cultural. People sleep on each other all the time on Tokyo trains.

Hm. That didnā€™t sound right.

3 Likes

It would all depend on how smelly the sleeper was and how vigorous the lean is

2 Likes

ā€œAnd that, my son, is how I caught impetigoā€¦ā€

In the UK I think youā€™d ask them to wake up, but apologise for doing so. Or if youā€™re a bit shy leave them to it, and wait for them to wake up to apologise.

1 Like

I think there are also other obvious factors at play, such as weight/size ratio between sleeper and sleepee, length of the trip, and how tight the space is.

I might let it slide on a subway trip for a half an hour with someone who is my same relative size, but I can distinctly remember a very uncomfortable 8-hour Greyhound bus ride when I was a small, 125 lb. teenager being used as a human pillow by a large 225 lb.(at least) man. Not even repeated jabs in the side would make this guy understand how I felt about it.

1 Like

(Clears throat) ā€œDum-de dum-dum; dum-de-dum; Dum-de dum-dum; dum-de-dum; dum-de-dum-dum; deeeeeee-da dum!ā€
(Hitchcock if you couldnā€™t suss that)

Sometimes Iā€™m glad Iā€™m from the countryā€¦

How well dressed and groomed was the guy who pretended to fall asleep on people?

Not especially, as you can see if you watch the video.

Iā€™m not onboard with this supposed ā€œexperiment.ā€ It comes across to me like more narcissistic hipster self-display, and worse yet, using ā€œurbanā€ people as a prop to do so.

Edit: and it doesnā€™t help that the message sounds like itā€™s lifted from a Hallmark card.

9 Likes

Agreed.

Hereā€™s another entertaining video on Public Transit. This man makes fun of complaining passengers on a Bus in Los Angeles.

Bus Driver Acts A Fool on the Bus

Yo dog, the only ā€˜threatā€™ to my sense of personal space is the occasional inaesthetic homeless person, so Iā€™m going to make an art project about violating peopleā€™s personal space, itā€™ll be awesome!

2 Likes

Amen, thank you. Itā€™s like the douchey cousin of ā€œimprov everywhereā€ā€¦

2 Likes

I have actually fallen asleep on some one before. They were nice about it, but then again Iā€™m pretty much the definition of not-threatening. Iā€™ve had some one nod off on me once or twice. I will admitā€¦ I check my bag to see if they are maybe faking to lift stuff off of me. Other than that I donā€™t care. Itā€™s kind of sad, but if you lead the right kind of life this might be the closest human contact you have for daysā€¦ so sleep on (so long as you arenā€™t stealing my stuff or masturbating on me).

I think the original photo struck a chord because the person being dozed upon was wearing a yarmulke and the person sleeping was an African American with a hoodie. There was a lot of story telling in the photo by the way the people were dressed, so the long nap had this element of surprise to it. I feel like the video lacks that punch.

2 Likes

Oh, hai! An ā€œart projectā€ that involves gross invasion of personal space and screwing with people with social anxiety of any sort. Iā€™m not going to give them the clicks to see how they denigrate anyone who reacts negatively, but Iā€™m envisioning a lot of ā€œlook at the racist appalled that someone who doesnā€™t look like them is totally fucking with them! Donā€™t they suck!ā€.

I have an ideaā€¦Iā€™ll sit on subways and pretend to be asleep and then casually grab the tit of anyone who sits next to me. And film it. Itā€™s totally cool because itā€™s art and stuff. Hey, BoingBoing thinks its cool so I must be in the clear. Anyone who thinks their personal space is more important that some hipster douchebags YouTube hit count is obviously a bad person, amiright?