Star Trek creator's perfect comment on casting a bald captain for ST: TNG

I have… Stalin-esque hair, so thick you can barely get a comb through it. Every time I go to the barber’s they always poke a little fun, saying “you gotta slow down, you’re growing all your hair now, and will be bald by 30”

4 Likes

Like Anne Bancroft playing the ‘older woman’ in The Graduate, despite only being 6 years older than Dustin Hoffman.

1 Like

Or Angela Lansbury, who was only three years older than the actor who played her son in The Manchurian Candidate. (Speaking of actors who don’t age! I think she settled in to her appearance in 1962 and decided to keep it for the next 40 years.)

7 Likes

Not fair for you, maybe…

1 Like

I have a friend like that who was mostly bald in high school. His first marriage didn’t last, so he was on the market again in his early 40s. He said it was like living on a whole new planet, because he looked like every other guy his age at that point so there wasn’t any disadvantage the second time around. (Marriage still going strong, and she was a better catch, too!)

4 Likes

There’s been a cure for male pattern baldness for decades already. Finasteride (or dutasteride). I take the former. On 1mg a day, my balding completely reversed from a state where people were feeling free to comment about how I should embrace it and shave (because Patrick Stewart and Bruce Willis and… well, those two). No side-effects for me (there are sometimes for others). I was in my early twenties and didn’t feel like the added potential handicap to my appearance. You might look better to some people when bald, but literally nobody but a fetishist actually dislikes a full head of hair.

There’s really nothing wrong with being bald, some people actually look better bald (having blue eyes seems to help). Some people don’t. There’s also nothing wrong with making a choice to not go bald, for exactly the same reason that there’s nothing wrong with wearing makeup or dyeing or styling your hair. I find the amount of self-righteousness about the issue (which is now just a personal choice) a subject of some dark amusement.

5 Likes

I’m like you, blessed with great hair. And I’m in my mid-40’s. I, too still always get comments from barbers about how thick my hair is and that “I’ll never go bald.”

1 Like

By rights I should have a lot less hair than I do - my mother’s father went almost completely bald by age 30 and my brothers are all starting to look a little Cardassian (even my youngest brother, who’s 8 years younger than me). It’s pretty much inevitable in my case, but it’s nice to have made it into my mid 30s without seeing any noticeable difference.

1 Like

The funny thing is, I have no idea if I’m genetically predisposed to hair loss, because my genetic mom can’t answer a damn question (seriously, a few months ago I asked her about hearing loss in the family, she said she couldn’t think of anyone with hearing problems. Then I made her list out the family tree and asked one by one, turns out there were a few dozen cousins, aunts uncles and grandparents who had early hearing loss. I swear she’s got worse ADHD than I do.)

2 Likes

Bald&buzzed is great, except for sunburn and abrasion; hair makes a semi-useful helmet, that is about all.

1 Like

It’s not losing my hair that bothers me, but so many men in my family started losing their hair in their teens and early twenties (my father being the sole exception on his side) that I totally expected and accepted it. Now that it hasn’t happened at all yet, it’s weirdly annoying not to know what my hair is going to decide to do.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop, right?

The sword of Damaclese is hanging over your head. Ready to fall and savagely give you a final haircut.

3 Likes

When I temporarily lost all my hair none of my bald friends told me my head would get cold. That’s the one thing that annoyed me. Well, that and the shortage of cool bandanas/skullcaps.

1 Like

The “no one cares” excuse is indeed a dangerous one.

On the subject of race:
Why does DS9 have a black captain? No, really. I mean Star Trek is claimed to take place in a post-racist society, so why is Sisko black while others are clearly white? Why hasn’t there been more intermarriage? People not caring about race should lead to a marked reduction in visible racial differences after only a few generations.

On the subject of Nations:
Why is everyone American or British? Picard claims to be French, but I don’t believe him - he can’t pronounce his own name correctly. I don’t remember seeing any Chinese people on Star Trek. As they apparently speak British English in 24th century France, Pavel Chekov and Hoshi Sato are the only Star Trek main characters born outside the Anglosphere on Earth.
The eradication of the French language and the apparent disappearance of China constitute two major catastrophes (genocide? Maybe during World War III?) that are definitely not OK for “no one to care”.

Are you trying to suggest that Connery wasn’t already on his game at 12?

3 Likes

In American media, RP counts as a foreign accent - especially a Nazi German one for some reason.

Nazis, Romans, Elves and Extras.

2 Likes

You and I could swap the kinds of stories that need to be told over a very fine bottle of alcohol.

1 Like

Oh, I definitely look better now that I’ve finished balding. (I don’t shave the remaining hair off, but I do tend towards short haircuts) When I had a full head of hair, I could never manage it. Nothing but cowlicks and flyaways.

We don’t know the main language of the United States of Africa, where Uhura was born. That may not have been English, either. Also, do we know that Sato wasn’t born in an Anglo country?