Star Trek episodes as vintage movie posters

[Permalink]

QMX sells them in sets also: http://store.qmxonline.com/TOS-Art-Print-Series-_c_44.html

1 Like

The main and background graphics of Ortiz’s posters are spot-on and effectively evoke posters of the 1960s (and other decades) - however, the weakest aspect of these ads is the use of current-day “retro fonts” - a good 50% of them simply don’t concur or mesh with the powerful graphics (many real title graphics from the 60s were hand designed, not pressed on from decal sheets)…also some of the drop shadows on some of the lettering just scream “Photoshop CS6” - all in all, a decent project - LIVE LONG AND POSTER!

4 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. I read about the book and the prints are 11 by 14 on good paper. Suitable for framing! But the QMX set is - " consists of plated-printed lithographs on 100-pound, aqueous-coated, satin-finish paper. Each print measures 18 inches x 24 inches."

I hope a bunch of people buy the book and or get sets of these prints they are cool.

I was looking at other QMX stuff and I had my eye on the Farnsworth case. Very cool especially since THEY were the actual designer! Too bad they are out of stock :frowning:

1 Like

Cool. And all folded and pre-wrinkled too?

True fact. All headline fonts then and up to the early 1980’s were in fact hand drawn.
Same for mass market package design logotypes. But that aside, the graphics shown here are truly wonderful and have a most authentic feel.

There’s something off about these that I can’t quite put my finger on - the fonts for sure, but also the design and layout just doesn’t sit right with a true vintage 60’s esthetic. They are just a little too slick and seem more assembled than drawn.

It might just be that I’m tired of the minimalistic retread in poster form of classic TV and movies by artists who don’t have any real creative ideas of their own, and the public’s insatiable desire to lap it up.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.