Suspected animal abuser in Brooklyn park was just man roasting guinea pig at barbecue area

So, it’s not OK to play with your food but it is OK to dress it up?

2 Likes

Many, many Brooklyn supermarkets sell guinea pig in the meat section. Along with a ton of other specialty South American products. I never picked one up as they were rather expensive when I was living there, like $16.99/lb IIRC. The brand name was Super Cuy! With an adorable superpowered guinea pig mascot. There’s absolutely no reason for anyone to go to a pet store to buy a guinea pig for eating, as far as I’ve seen their always more expensive at the pet store.

@Brainspore
While I understand what your getting at noone’s going to roast a pig on one of those public grills. Pig roasts take specialized equipment. And if you never seen one of the standard box grills provided in US parks they barely function as grills at all. None the less as something capable of doing a complex thing like a pig roast. People don’t generally freak out when whats your cooking is normal cuts of an animal. Pork Chops, steaks, sausages, even chicken to a lesser extent don’t look instantly like part of a living creature. People most certainly will freak out and make calls occasionally when they see some one roast a whole head on, look you in the face pig in a public place. I know because I’ve seen it happen around here. People are bonkers and they’ll call the authorities over just about anything that makes them mildly uncomfortable. Particularly when the people in question are older white folks observing anyone even mildly non-white.

Yuppie goes to winery, yuppie sees caterer roasting pig. Yuppie makes call to local cops about “those people” (ie non whites) torturing pig in public. Local police waste time and resources proving caterer purchased pig through legitimate channels. Yuppie writes bitchy letter to local small town paper about the evils of factory farming justifying yuppie squeamishness despite fact that pig was sourced from very nice local farmer named Tom who treats his live stock amazingly well. Seems to happen every couple years or so.

1 Like

I hope the humping roasted capybara where a purposeful centerpiece…

It would make a difference to a person giving up to the animal. I had a cat who was given up by a family who was no longer able to keep her. They gave her up in the hope that someone would care for her and provide her with a happy life. Imagine their horror if they learned that the person who promised to care for their companion animal killed and ate her instead. Humans have an emotional investment in companion animals that they do not have in animals raised to be eaten.

In your child abuse analogy the difference is in premeditation and intent. It’s likely that someone who adopted a child started out with good intentions of being a good parent and did not realize that at some point they would become abusive. Deliberately buying a child for the express purpose of mistreating that child with no intention providing him or her with a good life is clearly much more reprehensible.

So, not actually vegan, then?

2 Likes

Sure, if you want to be obnoxiously pedantic about it, thereby totally overlooking the friend’s point.

2 Likes

Obnoxious? I’ll accept that. Pedantic? Most of the time. But not in this case.

We’re talking about someone who kills and eats animals. There is no way you can stretch the definition of vegan to cover that.

“I’m an atheist, except for [insert name of deity].”

“I’m teetotal, except for my homebrew moonshine.”

“I’m a feminist, except with regard to women’s suffrage.”

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining, but I still see pedantry.

One doesn’t have to “be a vegan” to say “I eat vegan, except when I eat the wild animals that I myself shoot.” The word vegan can be a description of how one eats, or even usually eats; it doesn’t have to be a description of one’s identity.

4 Likes

The person in question was described as being vegan, not eating vegan.

I eat vegetarian occasionally, but there’s no way in Hell I could say I’m vegetarian. Not with a straight face, anyway.

Hang on now, going to the source ot read the story it turns out someone thought this guy caught a New York squirrel, had skinned it, and was about to eat it?

That’s ridiculous. Ain’t nobody ever caught one of these squirrels.

“I’m a vegan most of the time, except when I kill and eat wild animals myself.”

“Hold on there, you’re not actually a vegan.”

“Excuse me?”

“You just said you kill and eat wild animals. A vegan must eat nothing but meat always and forever. You, my dear, are a fraud.”

You still see no pedantry?

“I’m a vegetarian except for bacon” means you’re not a vegetarian.

It’s morally fine, but words have specific meanings for a reason. “The only time I ever eat meat is for bacon.”

3 Likes

If using words within their commonly accepted definitions is pedantry, then fine, I’m a pedant.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

2 Likes

But to be pedantic about pedantry:

pedantry
/ˈpɛd(ə)ntri/
noun
excessive concern with minor details and rules.

Are you really arguing that eating meat is a minor detail when it comes to veganism?

1 Like

The church never was very good at science… :smile:

I’d love to have a capybara as a pet.

I’d gladly eat guninea pig any day of the week.

I wouldn’t eat any of my pets, because i’m attached to them, i’d gladly eat any of the types of animals my pets are though, I don’t have any problem with eating animals.

are you assuming he killed the guinea pig himself instead of buying it in the grocery? most people who eat meat never kill their own, so one could argue that they are removed from any such label.

…but vegans are delicious! you can get free range grass fed vegans at whole foods if you wait around the parking lot long enough.

2 Likes

I’d heard they were a bit stringy, but I’ll give them a go on your recommendation.

1 Like

“Well,” he said. “We’ll have a good excuse for using picks and pretending they’re pocketknives. I wouldn’t approve of this if we could do it any other way. And I wouldn’t stand by and watch you break the rules, because right is right and wrong is wrong. A person has no business doing something wrong when he knows better. YOU might feel okay digging Jim out with a pick and NOT pretending it’s a pocketknife, because you don’t know any better. But it wouldn’t do for me. I do know better. Gimme a pocketknife.”

His own pocketknife was next to him, but I handed him mine. He threw down, though, and said:

“Gimme a POCKETKNIFE.”

I didn’t quite know what to do—but then it hit me. I searched through the old tools, got a pickaxe, and gave it to him. He took it and went to work without saying a word.

He was always just that particular. Full of principle. He was always that picky. So full of principles.

1 Like

they can be, but bbq sauce does wonders…

2 Likes

Huckleberry Finn?

No, I’m arguing that jumping on a person who says she’s “a vegan except for when it comes to animals she herself has killed because reasons” strikes me as obnoxious pedantry because it ignores her reasons, in order to focus instead on a minor detail in her choice of words used to describe her dietary practices.

Instead of saying, “Oh, really? Why do you stick to a vegan diet at all times except when you kill your own animals?”, your response is basically in line with the usual, “Sheesh, you vegans, such fools you are. Gotcha again!” It’s obnoxious pedantry and trollery because it ignores what the other person is saying, in order to instead play the all-too-familiar and tiresome “Let’s point out again how silly vegans are” game.

My guess too. The part where the seriously good novel descends into farce when Tom and Huck imprison Jim in a backyard shed, if I’m remembering right.