Texas passes draconian law limiting women's health care options

The NYT’s John Schwartz, who is himself from Texas, live-tweeted the dramatic proceedings yesterday in the Texas Senate surrounding one of the strictest anti-abortion measures in the country, pushed forward by governor Rick Perry. No surprise: the law passed. Read John’s coverage today, and weep. The bill would ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy… READ THE REST

1 Like

“Today the Texas Legislature took its final step in our historic effort to protect life.”

A funny thing to say in the state with the highest death penalty statistics of any U.S. state.

11 Likes

Perry thanked lawmakers for passing the bill: “Today the Texas Legislature took its final step in our historic effort to protect life.” A funny thing to say about a law that puts the lives and health of women in unprecedented danger, along with their children.

And a funny thing to hear from the governor of a state that executes prisoners faster than shit through a goose.

8 Likes

This was expected. What I worry about now is how this will be reviewed by the courts. If this gets to the Supreme Court today, I am not so sure that Roe v. Wade would still stand. I hope that at least Scalia or Thomas retires by then.

That’s an excellent point.

In a state where they have more laws dictating reproductive rights than making sure your plant won’t blow up and kill people, one has to wonder how the hell they manage to justify this in their own minds.
It would be awesome if they put as much effort into fixing actual problems in society.

10 Likes

I’m sure this culture of life is going to compel them to beef up SNAP and WIC and Head Start.

4 Likes

Texas, welcome to Mississippi.

1 Like

While Texas is far and away up there, still a bit misleading. http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/state-execution-rates

The clinics just need to reincorporate as fertilizer plants and then they’d have nothing to worry about.

4 Likes

That’s the goal. Once Roberts was appointed the Pro-lifers started pushing these bills in every state they could.

2 Likes

I’m sure he was against our constant military interventions too

A population that elects people hoping they will restrict their lives? Funny but if they did this with gun control I bet people would crap their pants.

1 Like

The likely situation would be one where the 24 week viability standard in Roe would be replaced by either a 20 week viability standard (which wouldn’t make much sense scientifically today) or a new standard of fetal pain (more likely given the point of these bills). There aren’t enough votes on the Supreme Court to touch Roe currently - Scalia, Thomas, and maybe Alito are the only overturns there.

The only way that Texas will ever change its stripes will be if the influx of newcomers changes the political demography. If you’re of the liberal stripe, and you’ve been thinking about moving to Texas (to take a job or something), then know that you’re more than welcome here.

The state is becoming increasingly purple, and it’s not as bad as you think. Did you know that Houston is the most ethnically diverse city in the US (surpassing LA and NYC)? Or that all of Texas’ major cities are, for the most part, Blue? The GOP in Texas knows its days are numbered; the gerrymandering in Texas is frantic.

And don’t listen to the idiots who loudly proclaim that they don’t want any more newcomers to Texas, they’re wrong. Especially the ones from Austin. Jesus Imaginary Christ, they’re the worst.

Political change in Texas is definitely possible, but only with the help of you, the newcomer.

2 Likes

Don’t you know? Small government. Except when it comes to women and our bodies. Then it’s big government in our vaginas, all the way.

9 Likes

The battle of the Alamo (and the Texas Revolution in general) was largely about retaining slavery, although of course all couched in high language about federalism vs. centralism. The protection of the right to choose was brought to Texas by the central power of the central United States, overriding the state law. So, it’s kind of ironic to be calling up the Alamo on this side of the issue.

Next on the Republican docket: Bounties on witches.

4 Likes

Part of me thinks “well at least it’s not as bad as Ireland” but the other part realises at least that country’s laws are crawling in the right direction.

If only he’d been a fetus. Btw, the same people were raising holy hell over Terry Schaivo: