The best bittorrent apps

[Read the post]

1 Like

How did Vuze/Azureus not make the cut? Vuze is a highly customizable and very mature product. (Its current UI can be busy/annoying, but if you stick with Classic Mode UI thereā€™s no problem.) Why the snub? Torrentfreak holds no such grudges.

2 Likes

uTorrent lost any remaining goodwill I had for it around the point that it played a banner ad with sound. At about 2 AM. When my place was quiet. I just about fell out of my chair.

It was just kinda the straw the broke the camelā€™s back after months of rolling my eyes after dozens of ā€˜THESE ASIAN GIRLS DESPERATELY WANT A BOYFRIENDā€™ ads.

2 Likes

For me, it was when the ads started controlling the shape & location of uTorrentā€™s window.
I was willing to live with the ads when they stuck to the same shape & size, but I leave my screen organized the way do because I like it that way, goddammit, and finding that something has resized itself and moved while I wasnā€™t looking (or while I was, once, which was almost more infuriating) is just flat-out fucking unacceptable.
The sound thing must have come later: sounds pretty horrible.

1 Like

uTorrent later ran a Litecoin miner in the backgroundā€¦

I used Azureus in my old MacOS (10.2-10.4) days. It started working well, but every update seemed to use more system resources, and it started being far too sluggish for me to use. When I decided to try it again a year or so later, it was renamed ā€œVuzeā€ and turned into some enormous bloatware thing. Apparently, the developers wanted to make it its own marketplace and media center, in addition to bittorrent client - and it still ran unusably slow for me.

1 Like

I would love to go back to rTorrent now that Ī¼Torrent allows MacKeeper to advertise, but for some reason I could never get it to seed/UL properly (It would seed, and occasionally upload, but overall it didnā€™t seem to be very findable by peers,) which is a problem if youā€™re using private trackers that use ratio as currency.

ā€œThe Bestā€ should read ā€œThe most commonly usedā€.
uTorrent is bloated garbage and has been for at least four years.

It is interesting to see how many people have decided to write ā€œtheā€ open source version of uTorrent over the years, and yet itā€™s still not dead.
Personally I like Deluge, but Iā€™m entirely ok with the setup it required, being able to run the daemon on one machine, and the gui on another is kinda cool.

you can disable the ads with a few changes to the settings (theyā€™re hidden away so the average user would never find them):

Also make sure you disable the automatic update feature in uTorrent, if you have a stable version youā€™re happy with stick to it. I only upgraded last year after running a 2 year old version because it couldnā€™t handle the bandwidth from my new FTTC connection (all downloads would seize up after about a minute of downloading at over 5 MBps). Will stick to my current version until thereā€™s some new bug I need to deal with.

1 Like

Guessing that you moved to qBittorrent. What a relief after uTorrent.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.