The Bitterman Himalayan Salt Block

[Read the post]

6 Likes

Add to con list: not dishwasher safe. ;^)

10 Likes

Add to pro list - it’s a block of salt. Crush it and do all the things you’d normally do with salt.

9 Likes

Potatoes baked on a bed of rock salt. The non-Himalayan kind is fine, as long as it’s NaCl.

4 Likes

Borys VS. Japhroig Iron Chef Salt Block Challenge

4 Likes

More expensive than and much more effort to do so.

They’d be fun as a serving platter, I guess.

@japhroaig - have you cooked on a salt-block, or deep in the depths of a salt-mine?

@TobinL - what do you think of this?

@AcerPlatanoides - enough, already! Come back!

4 Likes

This is also a great gift to give middle schoolers who love to torture snails and slugs

7 Likes

I have not, and those results don’t really surprise me. This might be a way to ‘salvage’ the block, albeit in a more rustic form.

1. Smash the block into pea gravel sized pieces

2. add 50% more by weight the coarsest rock salt you can fine. You should now have a bunch of ‘salt gravel’

3. Place the item you want to cook in a strong dish, appropriate for cooking and serving. Le crueset would be perfect.

4. Arrange any arromatics, spritz with oil, shove a tall thermometer in there

5. Cover that fucker with salt, but only the coarsest grains. spray the top with water, you want it to slightly dissolve then for a hard crust.

Cook till done, then ‘crack’ open the salt she’ll tableside. After dinner, crush the salt again, infinitely reusable.

P.s. this works best with things that have skins, like fish with skin, potatoes, skin on chicken, onions, fat capped prime rib, etc. And the presentation is dramatic.

3 Likes

BTW anyone that sears something on a platter like that and doesn’t think it won’t immediately get discolored… Malliard reaction anyone?

4 Likes

It is pink from the rhodopsin in it that was produced by bacteria. Amazingly the chemical is likely related to the rhodopsin in our eyes that detect low level light (in our “rods”).

To me the most magical thing about pink salt is the evolutionary tale it tells going from a simple, billions of years old microbe to an integral part of one most complex biological structures in our bodies, the eye.

8 Likes

I certainly appreciate the followup. This is exactly how I thought it would go…

5 Likes

So many Cool Gadget / Plug articles don’t follow up like this.

Thank you!

9 Likes

[quote=“Scrub, post:2, topic:62978, full:true”]
Add to con list: not dishwasher safe[/quote]
Not a problem the second time though!

3 Likes

Hey guys look at this cool too oooooh shit.

1 Like

Don’t cook with it…it turns white when heated.
Like Michael, wished I didn’t cook with mine. I heated mine up in the oven very…very…slowly.

I think they’re best used chilled to serve fruit slices, sushi, sashshimi., cheeses and charcuterie.
(They would be lovely sitting on those little ‘stick up’ led closet lights).

Also, I cringed seeing it sitting on a nicely polished wood table— salt will draw moisture out of the air, in short; they sweat saltwater.

6 Likes

CON: May attract moose to your dining room.

12 Likes

CON: Horrible as a simple homebrew deodorant. Try something else.

2 Likes

hey, maybe to you that’s a con…

1 Like

Update.
I had used mine to cook with and it mostly turned white.
I just pulled mine out to have a look at it. It’s been stored in a very humid kitchen for about 3 years.
It’s been soaking up moisture and has little bumps and patches of crystals on the surface…but it’s slowly turning translucent pink again. Maybe moisture is returning to the ‘dried out’ bits making them translucent again.

I think I’ll give it a scrub and a wash and use it only for cheese and charcuteire, sushi, and fruit from now on.