The Futurological Congress: From the Memoirs of Ijon Tichy, by Stanislaw Lem

[Permalink]

1 Like

The new “inspired by” movie The Congress with Robin Wright is pretty good, I’d recommend it.

There is a satiric German television series: “Ijon Tichy: Raumpilot” based on The Star Diaries by Stanisław Lem.

4 Likes

Lem is the best. My favorites are his more serious works like Fiasco and His Master’s Voice, although his lighter stuff is certainly fun and contemplative.

1 Like

And remember…Tichy is pronounced “Cheeky.”

Or so I was told when I first read Lem’s stuff. I don’t care if it’s correct. That’s the way I want to hear it.

Lem is right up there with Jonathan Swift and other greats.

I always figured that Douglas Adam’s books were one part Monty Python and one part Stanislaw Lem. It surprises me how many science fiction fans have missed out on him.

The very first chapter of The Star Diaries has our hero attempting to duplicate himself via time travel just to have someone to hold the other wrench during repairs. You should read it.

2 Likes

And you can, on the official Lem site.

When I bought my copy of ‘The Futurological Congress’, the shop assistant said the cover was one of the scariest things she’d ever seen.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.