The giant black rectangle isn't displaying right

Posts on BB today have this 350-pixel high solid-black div element covering half the page:

<div style="position: relative; height: 350px; width: 100%; margin: 0px; background: none repeat scroll 0% 0% rgb(0, 0, 0); z-index: 1;"><iframe src="//d1agz031tafz8n.cloudfront.net/thedaywefightback.js/thedaywefightback/banner_international.html?firstTime=true&amp;iso=CA&amp;greeting=Dear Internet" style="width: 100%; height: 100%; border: 0px none; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; background: none repeat scroll 0% 0% rgb(0, 0, 0);"></iframe><button style="border: 0px none; height: 26px; width: 26px; cursor: pointer; position: absolute; top: 20px; right: 20px; background: url(&quot;//d1agz031tafz8n.cloudfront.net/thedaywefightback.js/thedaywefightback/imgs/close-button.png&quot;) no-repeat scroll right top transparent; display: block;"></button><button style="border: 0px none; height: 26px; width: 26px; cursor: pointer; position: absolute; bottom: 10px; right: 20px; background: url(&quot;//d1agz031tafz8n.cloudfront.net/thedaywefightback.js/thedaywefightback/imgs/open-button.png&quot;) no-repeat scroll right top transparent; display: none;"></button></div>

I’m sure this is important and profound, but even after disabling AdBlock, it’s not appearing correctly in Firefox 29.0.1 or Internet Explorer 10, which just makes it obnoxious. I can still blindly fumble over the Close button in the upper-right corner, at least. Possibly the proxy I’m behind isn’t fond of CloudFront.

May I suggest at least hosting close-button.png locally?

Odd, was it related to this, which was Feb 11 2014?

Must have been a temporary glitch if so.

As all I saw was a big black rectangle, it’s hard to say what it was related to, but the words in the code above suggest it may have been related to that.

In any case, it’s gone now.

Augh, it’s doing it again! Am I the only one seeing this? Curiously, I notice that it is the 11th of the month, just as it was last time.

Firefox 30.0 now.

Some lurking javascripted horror from an anti-surveillance thing. I wonder what it is. If you see it again, say what URL it happened on!

It’s everywhere! http://boingboing.net/page/1/ and any post I click on.

It’s that time again!

I guess I’m just special. Mr. Black Rectangle is my friend and my friend alone; only I am entitled to his monthly visits.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Do you have a special User Agent string set up for Firefox? It looks like BoingBoing is including this script for people who have IE8 or lower. If you follow the resource, it’s not hosted anymore, so clearing your browser cache should do the trick.

Thank you for the suggestion. http://www.whatsmyuseragent.com/ reports “Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0”. But like I said, it’s happening with IE10 as well (“Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/6.0”).

As for my cache, I’m running FireFox Portable configured to “Always use private browsing mode” and “Accept third party cookies: Always”, so there shouldn’t be any persistent cache.

Using the UAControl addon to set my User Agent to “Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)” and then refreshing does not seem to remedy the problem. Neither does “Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; en-US)”.

A bit of searching suggests that “IE 10 and up DO NOT support conditional comments at all”. It would seem Firefox doesn’t care either, if indeed that particular Javascript thing is to blame.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience, and I’m sorry for laughing, but from where I stand this is the best bug ever.

I misread the source earlier and it looks like BoingBoing to pointing to a dead script for everyone.

As you can see the resource no longer exists.

Anyway, BoingBoing should not be including that script tag. If anyone has it cached locally they’ll probably see the widget on the 11th. Could you try clearing your IE10 cache?

What’s that tool you’re using? I do not recognize it.

I can’t check my IE10 cache at the moment, but my computer was completely replaced at one point between now and February, so it is unlikely that there is something that has persisted in that cache. However, I suppose it’s quite likely at this point that something in the proxy server arbitrarily decided to cache some script or another forever and ever – quite hilarious, indeed! That would be entirely beyond my control.

The tool I was using was just the Chrome developer tools. You can check this in IE10 by hitting F12, selecting the network tab, clicking on the save button and refreshing the page. Try looking for an asset called thedaywefightback. Does it load for you? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh968260(v=vs.85).aspx#NetworkTab

Cloudfront is a CDN, which means that its job is to cache static assets at multiple nodes around the world. When you request a page from BoingBoing it then chooses the closest node to serve you those static files. Usually these files can be cached “forever” (1 year), but it could be that a file invalidation didn’t reach an edge node closest to you.

@beschizza would it be possible to remove the old script from the page?

Ah, the Network tab. Very interesting! I’ll remember that one; thank you for that. FireFox has it too; the script definitely appears to be loading:

I have the distinct impression that there’s nothing left to be done at this point, but just for the sake of thoroughness (shades of http://xkcd.com/979/ ), here’s what the Network tab is saying today:

This topic was automatically closed after 982 days. New replies are no longer allowed.