The Kindle finally gets typography that doesn't suck

[Read the post]

1 Like

Super excited about this on my Voyage. Itā€™s worth noting that it wonā€™t come to the eInk devices until later this year.

Oh thank God! Why oh why is typography so horrid on devices in general? I never understood that.

3 Likes

Breaking words across lines is better than full justification? Will I be able to turn that off?

In that screenshot, I definitely prefer the ā€˜beforeā€™.

Iā€™d just like real page numbers, consistently, please.

I think I have my Kindle font set to Helvetica, so Iā€™m probably beyond saving.

2 Likes

Yeah, of all the things that annoyed me about my old Kindle Keyboard 3G (or whatever the hell itā€™s called), the font and justification was never something that bothered me much.

Looks blurry on my 5K screenā€¦

Reportedly full-justification only switches off at particularly large font sizes and is still active at all smaller sizes when left-justification would be wholly desirable.

Click through to the article and look at the original image. It isnā€™t as blurry.

1 Like

The Kindle ^App for iOS finally gets typography that doesnā€™t suck

FTFY. Actual Kindles wonā€™t be getting this update for a while still.

I have a Kindle 4 (the last generation before their backlit model). I wonder if thereā€™s any chance Iā€™ll get the new font and layout engine?

It looked super horrible on my MacBookā€™s retina display, but looking at the images used, BoingBoing used a small image and blew it way up in the article, while the original used a beautifully-large image.

BBā€™s image:

Original image:

BoingBoing has bills to pay, they canā€™t waste it on big images!

3 Likes

According to Amazonā€™s internal tests, that means itā€™s about 2% easier on the eye. That may seem like a small improvement, but spread that 2% across millions of Kindle users and it all starts to add up.

Iā€™m not really certain what ā€œ2% easier on the eye means,ā€ and Iā€™m even less certain why they get to multiply that across all the readers of Kindles.

How does it affect any reader at all how much you ā€œadd upā€ a tiny improvement by multiplying it by the number of readers?

I donā€™t doubt that this might be more pleasant to read, but this seems to be playing with numbers.

This is very welcome. I found it annoying to see their ever-increasing claim for highers resolution in the last year but no word on improving their circa-1995-html (you know, before CSS) level of finesse over typographic basics like letter and word spacing. Not being able to left align text even as an option is incredibly stupid.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know. I prefer sans-sarif fonts when reading on a screen. With blurry vision, the serifs confuse letters for me. Does Kindle let one choose a font-face?

It does-- from a selection of inbuilt fonts. My kindle 3g is out of power, again. but my ipadā€™s kindle app supports 5 typefaces, plus ā€œPublisherā€, which may be simply whichever one of those five the layout artist thought most appropriate. I have not yet checked to see if the app has been update with the new fonts.

I generally select sepia as my color schemeā€¦

Helvetica is the sans serif selection.

1 Like

This is my number one beef with my Kindle 3G. I read on my phone, my tablet, and my Kindle, whichever device is handy, and itā€™s annoying to have to turn networking on and off to keep it synched, but if I leave the networking on for more than a couple days and come back to it, it is invariably dead dead DEAD. So more often than not it ends up sitting in a drawer.

I seem to recall that MacWrite, bundled with the original Macintosh, came with a little essay by Steve Jobs about how serif fonts were easier to read on the screen than sans fonts. Does anyone else remember this?

I wish they had a fixed width font.

Just got the update on my IOS phone and opened up my bibliotherapy homework to see how it rolls.

Damnā€¦ that is a smooooooth font.

I canā€™t place exactly whatā€™s better about it, but my eyes like it.

1 Like

I would wish all these devices would adopt Knuthā€™s algorithm for balancing paragraphs, as used in TeX. Itā€™s been open source for 30 years, people.

4 Likes