The worst parallel parker in Scotland

[Read the post]

Self-driving cars, I tell you theyā€™ll never be able to match human performance.

7 Likes

Not to mention the time-honoured tradition of making typos (parralel?)when criticizing othersā€™ performanceā€¦

That goofy UK tradition of parking on the wrong side of the street always bemuses me. Why is it allowed?

It isnā€™t, at night (not that I think thatā€™s ever really enforced - along with the one about leaving parking lights on if parked on roads with speed limits > 30mph).

Donā€™t try it in Blackpool - Iā€™m told by an ex-CPS lawyer that a long-serving police officer has trained multiple generations of new colleagues that prosecuting this offence is an easy way to boost results. Similarly, not many people are fully aware that thereā€™s a legal requirement for motorbike exhausts to show a ā€˜kitemarkā€™ - but this officer apparently makes a point of looking.

1 Like

I got a ticket for that once, on the yank side of the pond.

Thereā€™s actually a name for that. Itā€™s called ā€œMuphryā€™s Lawā€. Iā€™m a fan.

5 Likes

why do the bad parkers always double down in these videos and floor it? if you canā€™t do it slow, you canā€™t do it really really fast either.

What always gets me is when you see people trying to parallel park and they donā€™t even crane their neck/body around to look at the space between their car and the other car. Maybe itā€™s because most Americans are too large to do so.

Iā€™m going to take a shot in the dark and say the driver is drunk (and therefore incompetent) rather than just run of the mill incompetent.

Either way, that driver is part of the ~30% of currently licensed individuals who probably shouldnā€™t be.

2 Likes

Well, that escalated quickly

And things were going reasonably well (if painfully slowly and cautiously) up until that point.

My browser doesnā€™t like the video - could someone provide the youtube link?

No true Scotsman would park like that.

3 Likes

Donā€™t they typically park like this?

1 Like

I donā€™t know why, but watching people struggle to parallel park is viscerally satisfying.

But here, Iā€™ll give the benefit of the doubt and suggest that our driverā€™s foot possibly slipped off the brake and onto the gas.

I might park like that too if I had stolen the car and just wanted somewhere to leave it and then I didnā€™t like any of the other cars there because they were in my way. Maybe I stole the other cars too and parked them there, all week I was stealing cars and parking them there because I wanted things to fit together in a very special way for a very special lady but then I got there with the last car, the crowning glory, and I was overexcited, and it was difficult to get it to fit exactly in, so I got mad. Itā€™s really a problem of mine, to blame the inanimate objects to not being perfectly suited to my grand plans and aspirations, but then again it was probably a stupid plan to steal all those cars and line them up like that. Jeez, what was I thinking. Then I sped off in a rage, also because the object of my affections for whom I was building this great display walked by me with her irritating dog and didnā€™t even give me the time of day. People, cars, I hate them all.

1 Like

Link to video

1 Like

It may have one of the utterly useless & jerky semi auto gearboxes. Fiat were fond of those.