There are 15 cities in China with over 10 million people

[Permalink]

1 Like

The only reason I recognise any more is because of cities with historical significance: Harbin, Tianjin, Nanjing, Xi’an…

At least that partly is because only a few really are global cities—not yet, give them time and they’ll be counted alongside Los Angeles and Bombay.

1 Like

How many of these Chinese megacity names do you recognize?

Most of them. Incidentally, it’s more than 10 million people.

2 Likes

I find it impossible to reconcile the idea of China as an emerging military power with the existence of these cities. Anything that severs their lifelines (enemy airstrikes, domestic terrorism, or even the Chinese military, or just bad weather) would trigger a full zombie apocalypse.

2 Likes

“Incidentally, it’s more than 10 million people.”

AP gave up on the “over vs. more than” issue last year, but good for you for taking a stand!

9 Likes

None of them compare to the original.

5 Likes

I am still trying to understand people’s stubborn refusal to use quantitative language for quantitative things!

There’s a gauge for that:

10 Likes

Is it still okay to comment on the cities, or are we hijacked? Because China isn’t really Neptune. I think I recognized all but one. That’s a large amount of cities.

At least that partly is because only a few really are global cities—not yet, give them time and they’ll be counted alongside Los Angeles and Bombay.

Excuse me. I think you meant Los Angeles and Chennai.

2 Likes

I think you meant Mumbai. Chennai used to be called Madras, not Bombay.

6 Likes

On the list of largest cities.
Shanghai 24.5 million
Karachi 23 million
Beijing 22.5 million
Tianjin 14.7 million

Mumbai is 8, after e.g. Lagos, LA is 64, after e.g. Kinshasa, and Riyadh.

as far as cosmopolitan nexuses go, size isn’t everything.

1 Like

:wink:

Your problem is that the city proper is a meaningless definition of a city’s size: the city of Los Angeles doesn’t even include the entire inner metropolis while the city of Chonqing includes a rural area larger in size and population than most U.S. states.

5 Likes

heh…

that’s a large city…

82,403 km^2

about the size of south carolina.

1 Like

Well, to avoid trouble choosing whether to count suburbs, you can count the built-up area within a reasonable distance, say one hour’s travel, say 5 km, of the largest public meeting-place.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.