Purported footage of Chinese people being forced into coronavirus quarantine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/12/purported-footage-of-chinese-p.html

4 Likes

When a dictatorship goes even further…

No journalist, no foreign doctor,… and we are suppose to believe the numbers they are broadcasting?

11 Likes

China January 2020 - USA December 2020

4 Likes

Looks like they are trying to put a 5 pound salami into a 1 pound bag.

3 Likes

Assuming people were at risk of being infected, at risk of spreading the virus, and would need to go into quarantine but would refuse to do so. What would you expect the US or any government would do? Keep asking nicely? At which point do you use force?

6 Likes

I assume that sounded funnier in your head than it reads out loud. Try putting yourself into the positions of the people involved.

2 Likes

Good way to start your day.

4 Likes

The authority of a regional health officer in a declared epidemic emergency is not to be sneezed at.

Even in a democracy, especially if the old laws are still on the books.

9 Likes

Let me rephrase then. I guess that sounded funnier in your head?
You’re still comparing other people’s terror and distress with making food. :+1:

So sad and terrifying.

I wonder if they’re worried that they’re about to be executed.

17 Likes

There are rumors that the new facilities being constructed across China are basically just for containment, rather than treatment.

Very likely not true. At least not yet.

8 Likes

Ever been in a Guangzhou taxi?

4 Likes

Much like a ride in a Tijuana taxi, just as frightening, and you pay handsomely for the experience.

2 Likes

You’ve got assholes in this country refusing to vaccinate their kids for diseases we seemingly eradicated using modern medicine. No one is forcibly trying to remove them from their homes…just casually saying “When your loved one dies due to a preventable disease…THAT’S ON YOU.”

Try a-fucking-gain.

Until there is a full on zombie outbreak, no one should be using force to quarantine anyone. FUCK.THAT.NOISE.

6 Likes

that is my very real fear for these people.

7 Likes

I think that’s the case. They don’t trust their government and are afraid that they will be disappeared. The lack of transparency helps such rumors spread, regardless of if they are true or not.

11 Likes

So even “Spanish flu”-like severity wouldn’t cause you to rethink your view on quarantine? Think of five loved ones around you… now imagine one or two are dead in two weeks and you can’t pick who.

But yeah, freedum! :roll_eyes:

Phlegmatic compliance is the best approach.

4 Likes

Especially if you count murder by neglect as execution. Totalitarian countries don’t care much about people who are arrested or otherwise taken into custody. For example under communist regime in Poland arrested people who were diabetic sometimes weren’t provided with insulin and died in the custody.

8 Likes

I have some orders from China being delayed I assume for the coronavirus. What they actually say is:

In response to newly announced extension of Chinese New Year holiday and related regulations, please kindly be noted that your order might be shipped with a delay due to the extended holiday (Jan 19th PT-Feb 18th PT).

So…Happy New Year!

5 Likes