Tim Cook offered Steve Jobs a sliver of his liver

[Permalink]

1 Like

With Chianti and fava beans?

11 Likes

Might have had a chance if he threw in some bacon and onions

2 Likes

Thus spake the minimalistic god: “There’s no sacrifice in a sliver, I needed it all”. Then Tim the Cook spent the rest of his days dwelling in the dark and bulky regions of self doubt.

5 Likes

Blimey!

FTA:
He found out that he, like Steve, had a rare blood type, and guessed that it might be the same. He started doing research, and learned that it is possible to transfer a portion of a living person’s liver to someone in need of a transplant.

Q #1: How could he NOT already know what his blood type is?
A: Lemme guess: Apple has never, even had a blood drive? If they have, he’s never, even given blood himself.

Q #2: How could he NOT already know that live-donor liver transplants are relatively routine?
A: “General knowledge? What’s that? Public service that doesn’t affect my stock options? I’m a libvertarian, fuck you! Caring/knowing about society in general? I don’t understand the question.”

2 Likes

doubtful. steve jobs was a vegetarian, i believe.

being gay, it’s illegal for him to give blood.

2 Likes

I suppose that this NYT article, like so much of what’s published there, is all lies as well, eh? ;->

Why would anyone know their blood type unless they are one of the rare ones that is in high demand?

I don’t know my blood type. I’ve given blood several times and have yearly physicals. It never occurred to me to ask.

1 Like

it’s not a lie, but that ban was just changed this past december. all the events in question took place years before. being gay myself, i’ve known of the ban since it was put in place back during the AIDS crisis, and tim cook must also be aware of it. i didn’t know my own blood type until very recently, either.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s different in the 'States.
My blood type is printed right on my Red Cross Canadian Blood Services blood donor card. It has happened where I’ve dropped by to give blood and they say: “Oh good, we need some type A+ whole blood right now!”

1 Like

Maybe that’s a Canadian thing. I’ve never been asked for my blood type (they always type blood themselves) and they certainly don’t give me a card. What is the card even for?

1 Like

Every time you give blood, they stamp it on your card. When you give enough times, you can get a double-double at Tim Horton’s for free.

2 Likes

Yup… I’ve lost my old Red Cross card, so I’ve completely forgotten what my blood type is (which reminds me, I need to go give blood again, it’s been way too long since I last did).

And I recall there being a biig hoo-rah about Canadian Blood Services relaxing their ban on gay men a while back… Though I just looked it up, and their requirement is still more strict than the FDA - they require 5 years of abstinence. Yikes.

1 Like

Ahh, that’s probably why no one here knows their blood type then. It is illegal to compensate people for blood used for transfusions in California, so there is no point in giving anyone a card.

Mmm, parachesis.

and look where that got him

@thaumatechnicia was being facetious, there. I believe donor cards are primarily to help tracking donors in their system.

Canadian Blood Services does have a recognition program, but there’s no financial incentive there. After the tainted blood scandal of the 80’s, we’re a bit skittish about paying people for donations up here.

1 Like

The US Red Cross uses cards, too. Mine has my blood type, name, and some ID - I use it instead of my license for checking in at a blood drive.

I don’t think it counts as “compensation”, but they often run giveaways of the month, where one can get a free movie ticket or a ticket to the state fair - I’ve gotten them even when they’ve told me I can’t donate that day.