UK general election discussion thread - Post Mortem

Oxford didn’t, but Oxford likes to be different. Ukip came in fifth place in the last EU elections [Lab-13015, Grn-8337, Con-5997, LD-5332, Ukip-4979 turnout:38.22%]. If only we weren’t part of the South-East constituency :frowning:

I guess it’s debate time in the UK, but I thought this was an interesting article to show the difference in the way religion in politics is perceived in the UK vs the US.

Warning: contains Michael Gove

Tried to keep up with it, but it’s unwatchable. A bunch of bad talking points, spoken badly.

Generally went something like this:

Cameron: serious face. Self congratulation,self congratulation. Tough but fair. Don’t change horses in midstream.(P.S. Economic illiteracy)
Millibland: I don’t want that. That’s terrible for all of us. Which is why I want to do the same thing, but more slowly.
Nick : I#'d just like to interrupt here and pretend that I’m still relevant…
Falange: So… I know we’re talking about health care, but what about those immigrants.
Bennet: Refute the UKIP nonsense, Reefute, refute… Oh, quick, cram in some policies
Sturgeon / Wood: We’d like to offer an actual alternative to everything that’s been said so far, while acknowledging that most of you at home can’t actually vote for us…so sorry about that.
Nick: If I may make a further attempt to pretend that I matter and attack everything that Dave says even though I’ve been voting for it for the last five years and…, (everyone switches off)

4 Likes

This got quiet quick. Fed up already? Is it all too predictable?

Finding all the bullshit about what Sturgeon said or didn’t say about who she wants to be PM really tedious. It’s fucking obvious that the SNP will work with (but not in coalition) Labour, and won’t prop up the Conservatives.

Funny to see Cameron begging the fruitcakes and loonies to come back now. I really don’t think he personally wants to, but he’s stuck with the crappy aging demographic of the Conservative vote.

I did the vote match thing and apparently my vote is worth double the typical person because I get to vote in an ‘ultra-marginal’. Doesn’t look like it to me, seems a pretty nailed on Labour gain.

I had a few days of deep depression and despair so I decided that I would not look at the news. Having three parties trying to out-do each other with reactionary policies is not good viewing for disabled LGBT people. I’m still recovering.

I did spend £10 on a linux compatible freeview stick for election night though.

Does anyone remember the Panini Cheapskates? They did the debates last week.

2 Likes

I’d wager every last one of them is now voting UKIP.

I wish I could see Nigel doing yogic flying. Especially if it was the clip used every time he appeared on the news for the next month.

It’s just that the campaign went a bit quiet over the Easter weekend, thank goodness.

The SNP are probably loving the desperate attacks and accusations that are flying their way at the moment. In the context of a Westminster election, it means that they’re at the centre of the story once again, when the media usually ignores everywhere outside the few key marginals and the Westminster bubble at election time. More screen time, and the reminder that voting for them in a FPTP election isn’t wasted is valuable publicity that money can’t buy.

Also, I had expected the Tory pleas to the Kippers to have started before now. The electoral mathematics means that the Tories have to pull the Kippers back onside to win in marginal seats, but have they left it too late?

One really interesting thing to watch will be where what’s left of the Lib Dem vote ends up. Polls are saying that it’s holding up better in Tory-Lib Dem marginals, and utterly collapsing in Lib Dem- Labour/SNP seats. That could blunt any Tory gains, if the party has essentially held on to the Ashdown era seats in the South West and London suburbs, but been utterly deserted by the Anti-war, leftish, studenty, civil libertarian alliance that Charles Kennedy cultivated- you know, the ones who were utterly betrayed by Nick & co.

Edit- Oh, yeah. Another thing. I see that the metagaming has begun on the likely “hung parliament” result.

Did they all move to Glastonbury?

1 Like

Ignoring the ‘bribing with sausage rolls’ drivel…

Jimmy White is a kipper?

I has a sad.

He’s a sports star, He wasn’t chosen for his critical thinking skills

I have found out about another candidate who I hope wins.

http://www.classwarparty.org.uk/

2 Likes

I’ve got an idea floating around in my head but not the programming skills to make it work.

LibDem Bingo!

We need randomly generated bingo cards from the 57 LibDem constituencies with the name and picture (if available) of the LibDem candidate. On election night we have a very slow game of bingo.

Does anyone know anyone who cares enough to make this happen?

1 Like

You could do a Scottish Labour one too.

I am still waiting for my postal vote to arrive. I somehow doubt it’s going to get here in time to get back and be counted.

1 Like

I’ve just suggested it to the OxHack email list as well. I did find some sites which will give me a PDF of cards, it’s not really what I’m looking for but I did a test run with information pulled from wikipedia.

Now I’m working on a list for that too. There’s only 39 Scottish Labour MPs, should I include Falkirk in the list?

Was Thursday backwards day or something?

Ukip have one policy I agree with:

Hopefully the other parties will copy that one too, but I won’t hold my breath.

I remember pet passports first being a Monster Raving Loony Party police.

The Monster Raving Loony Party do like to sneak in sensible but radical policies amongst their usual silly ones. I don’t know if they were serious about the pet passports though.

Nigel Farage has been challenged to a duel by a Polish aristocrat!

2 Likes

I did fencing in PE, I’ll volunteer to stab Farage right up, like.

2 Likes

Right up where?

What are the chances he doesn’t win in South Thanet? (please, please…)

I see the Guardian are talking down his chances a lot, but I’m inclined to believe they aren’t entirely impartial.